Thursday, March 14, 2013

Celebrating the Release of #YA #Poison in Memory of Bridget Zinn

Two days ago, on March 12, author Bridget Zinn's debut young adult novel Poison released from Disney Hyperion. The sale and publication of your first novel is a HUGE deal, and Bridget started out right at the top. Which is just one reason her death from cancer on May 25, 2011, was such an amazing tragedy.

I didn't know Bridget. She was gone before my career really began. But I feel a kinship with her obvious love of books and words and characters and stories. A woman fighting for her life, her very last tweet on May 18 was "Sunshine and a brand new book. Perfect." I think she and I could've been great friends.

So, today, I'm celebrating Bridget's incredible achievement by sharing a first from my career, pimping her book, and asking you to give it a look. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could get Poison to hit a list in her memory?

I remember the very first time I got THE CALL.

Now, by the time it had happened, I'd already sold three books to small e-publishers. And in all three cases, I can assure you that the emails that arrived with the good news they they actually wanted to publish my book were heralded and celebrated and squeed over. But there's nothing like an actual call from an actual editor with an actual offer.

On Wednesday morning, June 22, 2011, I was working at my desk when the phone rang. I ignored it at first. I almost always ignore the house phone when it rings during the day. But for some reason I looked up and saw it was a 212 area code. New York. Now, two weeks before, after nine months of waiting to hear, a Harlequin editor had sent me a note saying my story needed some tweaks but she was enjoying it. So I was primed to think a 212 number might be imporant. And, in fact, it was. The very calm, pleasant voice on the other end of the line was Tara Gavin, then Senior Executive Editor for Harlequin's Silhouette Nocturne line, calling with an offer to buy not just the one book I'd submitted, but one more just like it, both for their new Cravings line of paranormal novellas.

I stood up. I sat down. I stood up. I circled my office. I sat down again. I did an Elaine dance while struggling to keep my voice perfectly normal and rational. I was shaking and my heart was beating so hard I felt like I might pass out. And when we hung up, I screamed so loud I woke my dog up from a sound sleep and he barked. LOL

That first was one of many great moments I've had so far in my career. And I've never been more grateful for everyone one of them than I am today.

So, without further ado, here's Bridget Zinn's debut novel, Poison:
Sixteen-year-old Kyra, a highly-skilled potions master, is the only one who knows her kingdom is on the verge of destruction—which means she's the only one who can save it. Faced with no other choice, Kyra decides to do what she does best: poison the kingdom's future ruler, who also happens to be her former best friend. 

But, for the first time ever, her poisoned dart…misses. 

Now a fugitive instead of a hero, Kyra is caught in a game of hide-and-seek with the king's army and her potioner ex-boyfriend, Hal. At least she's not alone. She's armed with her vital potions, a too-cute pig, and Fred, the charming adventurer she can't stop thinking about. Kyra is determined to get herself a second chance (at murder), but will she be able to find and defeat the princess before Hal and the army find her? 

Kyra is not your typical murderer, and she's certainly no damsel-in-distress—she's the lovable and quick-witted hero of this romantic novel that has all the right ingredients to make teen girls swoon.

Purchase your copy


About Bridget Zinn



Bridget grew up in Wisconsin. She went to the county fair where she met the love of her life, Barrett Dowell. They got married right before she went in for exploratory surgery which revealed she had colon cancer. They christened that summer the "summer of love" and the two celebrated with several more weddings. Bridget continued to read and write until the day she died. Her last tweet was "Sunshine and a brand new book. Perfect."


Bridget wanted to make people laugh and hoped readers would enjoy spending time with the characters she created. As a librarian/writer she loved books with strong young women with aspirations. She also felt teens needed more humorous reads. She really wanted to write a book with pockets of warmth and happiness and hoped that her readers' copies would show the watermarks of many bath time reads.


With hugs and gratitude, thanks for reading,

Laura

5 comments:

Carolyn Locke said...

I am an avid reader and a collector of YA fiction. I am also a reading teacher so as a reader and a teacher, I buy YA books for myself, to recommend to other reading teachers/schools, and to use as gifts for friends who share my passion and for my nieces.POISON sounds like a great book and combined with Bridget's story, the two together can teach us about how to live our lives and also entertain us through her writing, in this case, her last book. By sharing her story and buying, reading and sharing her her latest book, I can "meet" her and say THANK YOU for being a mentor to me and others who hear her story. This way, her work will continue to teach and we can "send" smiles of gratitude to her to honor her.

Z said...

I think several of my children would enjoy this book. Thanks Laura.
Z

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, guys!

Barrett said...

Thank you so much for sharing your publishing first! Such a fantastic and fun memory to read! I also wanted to thank you for being part of the blog tour for Bridget and POISON. It means so much to me and her family.
Wishing you the best,
Barrett Dowell
(Bridget's husband)

Laura Kaye said...

It means a lot that you stopped by, Barrett. Thank you so much! May Poison hit all the lists!