Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Welcome Guest Author Sandra Dailey! #TwicetheTrouble

Welcome Guest Author
Sandra Dailey
to the Blog!

Welcome, Sandra!  Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

I write from my front porch in North Florida. My husband is my technical consultant. My sister is my critique partner. My mother does the pre-edits. My daughter and two of my granddaughters help me promote. It’s a family affair.

I released my first book, The Chief’s Proposal, last August and my third book is nearly finished. I write contemporary romance, but I’d like to try a few other sub-genres soon.

Great! Tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

Twice the Trouble is about two people who were separated thirteen years earlier. Although they’ve taken different paths in life, they’ve never gotten over their love for each other or the pain of the betrayal that tore them apart. Now they’ve found each other again.

Oh, I love reunion stories! Which character is your favorite and why?

I became very attached to the heroine’s son, Jerrod. He’s going into that age between boy and man. It was almost as though I was watching him grow-up.

As the author, what surprised you about this story?

The struggle between my hero, Alex, and Jerrod came as a surprise. You realize quickly that Jerrod needs a man in his life for guidance and to help relieve the pressure of being man-of-the-house. Alex is the man for the job, but it’s not easy. 

Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

I’m thinking of doing a story for each of the kids after they’re a little older.

What was the hardest thing for you about writing this story?

My husband is a farmer. It’s the way our kids were raised. My editor didn’t seem to understand how tough farm kids have to be, how hard they work every day. It’s not a lifestyle for sissies. As an example: my granddaughter helped dress-out her first hog a few months ago. She’s eleven.
I did have to compromise on some things to get the story published.

What are you working on right now?

It’s what I call a ‘Sabrina’ story. You may not remember the movie. It’s a love triangle between a woman and two brothers. Unlike the movie, this story goes deeper into the demons that haunt the brothers and the different way each of them deal with their past. Also, the heroine comes from a life of privilege instead of the men.

Interesting! What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

‘Common Enemy’ is still waiting to see the light of day. After writing it, I realized how little I knew about writing and decided to go back to school. I’m not sure if it will be my fourth or fifth book. There’s another one I started that I’d also like to finish.

What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

Conflict is the easiest part for me. All that passion exploding from my characters. The hardest is the dreaded synopsis.

Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

The Chief’s Proposal is a marriage of convenience story. That’s how my own marriage started, but we made our pact face-to-face rather than over the internet.

We started our marriage with children, like in Twice the Trouble. Our children were much younger, though.

Is there a theme or message that runs through your work?

I’ve never thought about it, but I guess the common message would be that relationships require constant care, respect and trust.

That’s a good one! What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

Although my marriage started as a temporary agreement, I’ve now been married longer than anyone in my family other than my grandparents. We just celebrated our 32nd anniversary. My parents and siblings haven’t made it half that far.

Congratulations! Which romance book or series do you wish you had written?

The Lords of the Underworld series by Gena Showalter. There’s nothing warm and fuzzy about those demon possessed heroes, and yet she makes you fall in love with them.

Of all the characters you’ve ever written, who is your favorite and why?

The hero of my WIP, Common Enemy. He walked away from his past because of facial scars from an attack. Eventually, he has to face his handsome twin brother. It’s very emotional for them both.

Okay, now, just for fun:

Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Dark

Salty or sweet? Salty

Bed or kitchen table? Kitchen table

Beach or mountains? Beach

Give or receive? Give
Lacey Carlyle has worked for years to create the perfect blend of home, business and family. Now she risks losing everything when the land she farms is bought by the man who abandoned her thirteen years ago.

 Alex Benson has never understood why Lacey walked away from him. Now, he holds the deed to her farm and intends to make her pay. The only problem – two kids weren’t part of the plan.

 Jenna and Jarrod may not see eye-to-eye but they are both determined to find happiness for their mom and keep their home safe.

 Can Lacey and Alex put their pasts behind them and embrace a future together?
Excerpt:

Alex cringed when Lacey slammed the door of his treasured BMW and strode to the next island in the lot. She stopped beside an older than dirt Ford pickup with more primer than paint and rust holes along the bottom the size of baseballs.

Alex rushed to catch up to her. “You can’t be serious,” He looked the truck over.

“Hey, this happens to be an antique.” Lacey seemed truly offended. “It just needs a little fixing up. I admit it’s not pretty, but what do you expect from a farm truck?”

“I expect you to be able to make it home without having to add three quarts of oil.”

“Seriously, Alex, I’ll be fine. I’ve been driving this thing forever.”

“You, and how many others before you?” Alex pulled a business card from his breast pocket. “Call me when you get home. Just so I know that Old Rusty got you there safely.”

Lacey snatched the card from his fingers. “Whatever, I really need to get on the road. Granddad is going to be furious that I’m so late.” She turned and opened the creaky driver’s door.

“What, no kiss good-bye?”

“Now you’re the one who’s not serious.”

Alex spun her around and trapped her against the side of the truck bed. Impulsively, he took her mouth in a deep, bone-melting kiss. He didn’t know why he did it, but he realized that he’d wanted to, since the moment he saw her standing in his office. It was still a natural, prima instinct to press his body to hers and find a way inside. As much as he hated her, his body still craved her. From the desperate little whine she emitted as she leaned close, he suspected Lacey’s body might still remember his as well.

His hands roamed down her narrow back and pressed her closer. Her smell, her taste, her warmth…were even better than he remembered. He tried to relieve the throbbing tension in his groin by rubbing against her soft belly.

The feel of his hard length must have brought Lacey to her senses. She pulled away touching her fingers to her lips and looking stunned. “We can’t do this. I’m not ready for this.”

He’d been foolish to go so far, but Alex was an expert at covering his thoughts and feelings. He grinned and winked before he walked away. “Gotcha.”

Where can we find you on the web?



Thanks for reading everyone! Please leave Sandra some comment love! Did you have a favorite line from the excerpt? Or a question to ask!

Laura

13 comments:

Nancy Jardine said...

I wonder how you managed to persuade your family to support you so well, Sandy! I tried to use my daughters as critique partners, but their lifestyles are so busy I couldn't wait the three months till they read and commented. The excerpt is great!

Sandra Dailey said...

They all fear me, Nancy. Also, I write my books in small, manageable sections. Don't be fooled. Only two of my six sibs will ever read my books.

Gayle Latreille said...


Thanks for this wonderful interview, Sandy & Laura. Learned some new things about you that I was not aware of before, Sandy. Thanks for sharing part of your life with us, and thank you Laura for having Sandy with you.

'Twice the Trouble' sound so interesting and will be adding it to my TBR today to read on my new Kindle Fire.

gayle2b74@gmail.com

Sandra Dailey said...

Glad you could come by, Gayle. I envy your Kindle Fire. I hope you enjoy the book.

Niecey Roy - Romance Author said...

Sandra!!! You are everywhere these days, LOVE your vibrant energy :) And you are so lucky to have such a supportive group of family around you. If I could get my sisters to read romance, I'd ask for their help to critique and edit :) I'm still trying to get my hubby to read my book. He swears once it's out in paperback he will. We'll see, ha!

Mackenzie Crowne said...

Great interview, Ladies. I'm still mulling over your marriage of convenience comment, Sandy. Damn, you've made me SO curious, and impressed at how you've involved the family. I'd never be able to pull that off.

Sandra Dailey said...

Hi Niecey! My husband reads as much as I do. We have hundreds of books in every room of the house and both of our kindles are loaded. He answers all my questions regarding farming, ranching, mechanics, weapons and general guy stuff. He's handy to have around.

Sandra Dailey said...

Great to see you Mac! My husband and I met when we were both recently divorced and each had two toddlers to raise. I had time, he had money. Vice versa, we were both struggling. It worked for us.

Melissa Fox said...

What a fascinating glimpse into your life, Sandra. Thanks so much for sharing! Loved the personal background info on both The Chief's Proposal and Twice the Trouble. I get my love of reading--which led to writing--from my mom and dad, both of whim get a kick out of being beta readers for my work. My husband, on the other hand... :) He's a little too, um, energetic to sit down and read a book, but he's so amazingly supportive in every other way.

Sandra Dailey said...

There's nothing wrong with an energetic man, Melissa. Glad you came by.

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for all the great comments for Sandra everyone! And thanks for stopping by, Sandra!

Sandra Dailey said...

I loved your questions and your blog is beautiful. Thanks for having me. I'm dying to read SOS!!!

Shelley Munro said...

Your family sound so supportive. How neat that your marriage inspired a story.