Monday, September 24, 2012

Welcome Guest Author Tamara Hoffa! #Debut


Welcome Guest Author
Tamara Hoffa
to the Blog!

Welcome, Tamara!  Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

I love all genres of romance. My first release, Heart of a Soldier, is a contemporary romance, but I am currently working on a paranormal romance with my best friend of over 30 years, Beverly Ovalle. Bev also has a lunchbox romance release, Dragon’s Mate, due to release in October 2012

Great! So, tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

Heart of a Soldier is a second chance at love story. As a mature (cough, old) woman, I love stories that feature couples lucky enough to find love a little later in life.

Which character is your favorite and why?

I love the H/h both. But I have to say my favorite character is Charlie’s best friend Bethany. She is everything a best friend should be. Supportive, pushy, nudgy and a hoot to boot.

How fun! As the author, what surprised you about this story?

I probably shouldn’t say this, because I’ll make all the authors reading this mad at me, but what surprised me was how easy the story was to write. I had the idea and bam! The characters just took over and took off.

That’s the way it is sometimes! *grins* Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

No, Heart of a Soldier won’t be part of a series… but the paranormal I am working on will be… I hope.

Tell me more about that paranormal!

As I mentioned I am working on a paranormal romance, tentatively titled Windy City Dragons. I am really excited about this one. It is the story of the two dragon shifters that started the Chicago fire. They have become firefighters in an attempt to make up for their past, but are haunted by guilt. One of the lucky pair will find his mate in WCD, but… it won’t be an easy pairing.

What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

Again people, don’t hate me, but Heart of a Soldier IS the first book I’ve ever written.

Congrats! What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

Easiest for me was Charlie’s perspective as a mother. I have three children and two grandchildren,. And I was, and still am, “Momma Tammie” to a slew of children of my heart. So I know how a mother feels.

Hardest? The conflict between Charlie and Jamie. I am a very non-confrontational person, the quintessential peacemaker, so that was hard for me.

Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

I’m sad to say that I based the death of Charlie’s husband on the death of my sister, Samantha Wyatt. She was killed in a car accident on Highway 70 just as Phillip was in the book. Heart of a Soldier is dedicated to her.

It also takes place very near where I live. In fact Jamison’s parents live in my hometown of McEwen, Tennessee.

Is there a theme or message that runs through your work?

That attraction is easy, but BEING in love takes effort. I once read a quote that said, “Love is like a garden, if you plant it and don’t tend it, it will never grow” I love that!

So agree! What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

I am hopelessly addicted to coffee and flavored creamers. I think there are currently four different kinds of creamers in my refrigerator.

Okay, now, just for fun:

Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Definitely Dark

Salty or sweet? Both

Bed or kitchen table? Bed, I’m all about the comfort

Beach or mountains? Mountains! I lived in Florida for over twenty years, so I’ve had all the beach I could ever want.

Give or receive? I’m a giver! I would much rather see someone open a gift I bought or made, than get anything myself. I start shopping for Christmas in July, and I start making Christmas stockings in September, want one?


Soldier Jameson Hunter faces the battle of his life, winning the heart of Charlotte Mackenzie, widowed mother of a young recruit.

Tamara Hoffa lives in central Tennessee, with her husband of 30 years, her three grown children, two grandchildren, 3 dogs and 2 cats. Tamara started reading when she was four years old and has rarely been seen without a book at hand since. At home you will usually find her in “nana’s chair” with her kindle, her laptop or one of her precious, precocious grandson’s in her lap. Tamara is a reviewer, a professional reader and can now add author to her repertoire.  Tamara is proof positive that it’s never too late to reach for your dreams. Find Tamara on Facebook.

Thanks for being here, Tamara! Now, everyone, leave Tamara some comment love for her debut!

Laura

6 comments:

Sharon Buchbinder said...

Hi Laura and Tamara--

Great story, great interview.

xoxo

Sharon

Karen Holloway said...

Sounds like an absolutely fantastic book!! I can't wait to read it. Glad to know you are in my neck of the woods Tamara. I live near Knoxville. Great interview Laura!! Best of luck with the book Tamara.

Aurian said...

Great interview ladies, thank you! And congrats on the new book Tamara, it sure sounds good! I also love the second chance at love stories.

Tamara Hoffa said...

Thanks Laura for having me today, And thanks everyone for your support. This has been an awesome experience!

Beverly said...

Wonderful! Hmm no surprises here! SSLY!

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for all the comments for Tamara, everyone! :)