Friday, August 10, 2012

4 Ways to Read an eBook Without an eReader! Spread the word!

Many times by email, blog post comment, tweet, or facebook message, readers have said some version of the following statement:
I can't afford an e-reader, so I can't read your e-books.
This post is for readers willing to read e-books, but who, for whatever reason, don't have, can't afford, or don't want to have to buy a Kindle or a Nook or an iPad, etc.

Here's the good news:
YOU DON'T HAVE TO OWN AN E-READER TO READ E-BOOKS!
Yes, I'm serious!

I'm here to let you in on some not-so-secret secrets. COMPLETELY FREE options abound to be able to read e-books without e-readers:
  1. PDF format e-books. Many books are available as PDF files which can be read using FREE Adobe Reader software. Simply download this free software, and then buy books in PDF format wherever you see that option available. Admittedly, PDF e-books tend to be limited, but they are out there and often available from e-publishers' websites, which is true for my books Forever Freed and Hearts in Darkness, for example.
  2. ePub format e-books. Many books are available as ePub files which can be read using FREE Adobe Digital Editions software. Simply download this free software, and then buy books in ePub format wherever you see that option available. ePub format is often available through e-publishers' websites and book retailers like All Romance eBooks and Books on Board, among others.
  3. Get a Kindle for free! That's right! Turn your iPhone, Android phone, computer (PC or Mac), or Blackberry into a Kindle e-reader by downloading the FREE Kindle App from Amazon. Simply download this free software, and then buy books from Amazon or in Mobi format from other retailers, and read them on your Kindle app.
  4. Get a Nook for free! Yep, this one's true, too! Like Amazon, Barnes & Noble also provides FREE Nook Apps for Androids, iPhones, or computers. Simply download this free software, and then buy books from Barnes & Noble and read them on your Nook app.

So, don't be turned off of e-books because you don't want to have to lay out the money for a fancy new device and then have to learn how to use it. I own a Nook and have a kindle app on my iPhone, so I personally love e-readers. But whether you do or don't, whether you never want to buy an e-reader or just aren't ready yet, know that if you have a computer, you can read e-books using any number of completely free software options.

So, go forth and buy e-books! And happy reading!

Thanks for stopping by!
Laura

25 comments:

VICKI BATMAN, said...

Hi, Laura. You won't believe (probably do) how much I hear this. If only I could print your directions off and hand out at speaking engagements. The library ones are where I hear this the most. Thank you for sharing the tips.

Laura Kaye said...

Hi Vicki - I totally believe it! You know, printing these out with the full links to have handy at events probably isn't a bad idea! Getting the word out about ebooks is a process for sure! Thanks for commenting!

DL Thomas said...

The kindle app won't work on my computer for some reason. I have uninstalled and re-installed it several times and still nothing.

I have the Nook app, Digital Editions and Adobe pdf reader.

Unfortunately my computer sits in the main room of the house, so reading on it is really hard.

I have a Nook that my son bought me and that is what I use most of the time. I really want to get a kindle, as that is where most of the Free reads are and some authors only put their books on Amazon.

Thank you for all the info though. Not everyone is aware of the free readers for their PC's and laptops.

Deb
mammy4423 (at)yahoo.com

Patricia said...

Excellent post Laura! I think we tend to forget that this isn't common knowledge, thanks for the reminder!

Laura Kaye said...

@Deb - thanks for commenting! You've very welcome and I agree with you completely! Odd about the kindle reader... I haven't tried it for my PC but I have it on my iPhone. In fact, that's where I read most of my eBooks...

@Patricia - exactly! Thanks for commenting!

Eliza Knight said...

Excellent post Laura!!! I have people say the same thing to me all the time, and when I explain they are surprised and pleased!

Laura Kaye said...

@Eliza - Yes, I've had that happen to! And it's so easy! Thanks for stopping in!

Maddy said...

That's really useful. I started with a free kindle app on my phone too. We've moved further along now for other reasons, but that's good to share with people who don't have as many options as we do. Thank you.

Calisa Rhose said...

Hi Laura. Wonderful advice. I have a kindle but I also have kindle app on my laptop and I think I will put it on my phone too. I knew about it, just haven't done that one because I can't read that small. lol

Ophelia London said...

Great post, Laura. I'm glad you wrote this. I've had this discussion with my parents a million times. Maybe I'll just send them the link to this post. :)

Victoria said...

I'm glad you posted this. I often read posts where people say they can't get the e-book because they don't have an e-reader. I didn't have one for the longest time but I had Kindle for PC and was a very happy camper ;).

Laura Kaye said...

Yay I'm so glad you guys are finding this useful. By all means feel free to share, etc.! Woot!

Shelley Munro said...

This is how I started reading ebooks until I graduated to a reader. The software works really well.

Good post, Laura :)

Laura Kaye said...

Awesome to hear, Shelley! Thanks!

Terri Rochenski said...

Yeah! Thanks for listing these all in 1 place. Copying & pasting. :)

Laura Kaye said...

You're very welcome, Terri!

June M. said...

I actually started reading ebooks by using the Kindle app on my computer. Once I realized I loved ebooks, I purchased a kindle to reward myself for quitting smoking for 6 months (now 20). Before I did buy the kindle though I continued to get the free books they offered. I must say that my kindle does make it easier to read though than on my desktop or laptop computers.

Laura Kaye said...

I agree, June, I think the e-readers are easier, more comfortable, etc. And congrats on quitting smoking!!!

Lynne Marshall said...

thanks for this enlightening blog. I believe there is an AP for just about everything, so whether Kindle, Kobo or Nook - people can read our books on their computers.

If I tweeted I'd tweet this, but I don't. I will link to this blog at my blog though.

thanks!

Joanne Stewart said...

Great post, Laura!

Paranormal Opinion said...

Shared on my blog :)

Laura Kaye said...

Awesome! Thanks guys!

Donna Hosie said...

I direct everyone to the free Kindle app. I have it and it is fab and easy to install.

Aurian said...

Microsoft also has a free ebookreader for your computer, which is the best one in my opinion, for reading on your computer. I use the free program Calibre (can also be used as a library) to convert my ebooks to .lit for the Microsoft reader.

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for the tip, Aurian!