Friday, June 29, 2012

Welcome Guest Author Sasha Summers & Medusa!


Welcome Guest Author
Sasha Summers
to the blog today!

Welcome, Sasha!  Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

Hi Laura, thank you for having me. My pen name is Sasha Summers – it’s the only one I have. J I write contemporary romance, romantic fantasy, and sci-fi romance.

Awesome! So, tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

Medusa, A Love Story came out last month. It is, I think, a lovely novel if you are a fan of Greek Mythology or historical/fantasy novels or romantic tragedies.

I think the tagline sums it up fairly well: It’s said that love can change a person. Medusa wasn’t always a monster…

Very cool! I love mythology romance! Which character is your favorite and why?

I loved Ariston. I’m not sure he was my favorite as I enjoyed them all, but he was so strong – such a wonderful hero. Both he and Medusa are. They know what’s right and stay true to duty throughout the story. You can’t help but root for them even though you know what’s going to happen. I don’t change the Medusa myth, I just offer a ‘what if’ to it.

I’m so intrigued! *grins* As the author, what surprised you about this story?

The whole story, really. I didn’t set out to write a historical myth retelling – but the story came and demanded to be written. I was really sucked into it while I wrote it. Even now, working on the next books, it’s like traveling to another time and place. A magical place.

That’s an awesome feeling! Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

Yes, Book 2 of the Loves of Olympus series is Hades’s story. It’s called For the Love of Hades and will release in January. I’m working on Book 3 and have two more plotted… but there are so many possibilities…

Wonderful! I love a series! What was the hardest thing for you about writing this story?

It was emotional. I cried and wanted to change things so it would end differently. One of my critique partners told me I had to change the ending. I didn’t, I couldn’t. And I don’t think she ever read the ending – LOL!

What are you working on right now?

I normally have a few projects going at one, to keep things flowing. I’m working on Apollo’s story – along the lines of Medusa’s tale – and the 3rd book in my Hollywood contemporary romance series as well. I’m also waiting on my edits for my scifi novella.

Busy author! Awesome! What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

I have it. It’s a massive thing, all typed up on a Brother Word processor that took floppy disks. It’s a historical romance – a western. And I was very young when I finished it… Probably will never see the light of day!

Fun story! What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

Hardest, sincere emotion from the male perspective. Men don’t talk the way women do. I try to write honestly. But since I’m a woman, I have no idea if I get it right or not.

Easiest – the naughty bits. J

Woot! Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

Not in my mythology, no. It’s a time apart, the people and everything are very much a ‘movie in my head’ that I write. However, I do ‘cast’ my characters with actors. And sometimes they’re ticks or habits will leek onto the page.

In my contemporary a little more, I guess. Some of my characters resemble people I know or actors/actresses I’m a fan of. Are they those people? No. But I use bits and pieces to make it real for me. 

Makes sense! Is there a theme or message that runs through your work?

Love requires compromise and, sometimes, sacrifice. Obviously not to the extremes that are represented in the mythology stories, though.

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

I don’t have lots of surprises… I’m a painter as well.

Very cool! Which romance book or series (or other genre, if you don’t write romance) do you wish you had written?

That’s an interesting question. I’m not sure. I’m a big time reader, I can’t imagine writing someone else’s book – if that makes sense? J

Of all the characters you’ve ever written, who is your favorite and why?

Here’s the thing. I get totally invested in the characters that I’m currently writing. I loved writing Poseidon and Hades and now I’m loving Apollo.

I totally get that! Okay, now, just for fun:

Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Dark

Salty or sweet? Depends on my mood ;)

Bed or kitchen table? Bed

Beach or mountains? Beach

Give or receive? Give
 


It's said love can change a person. Medusa wasn't always a monster...

Medusa is ruled by duty, to her Titan father and the Goddess Athena. She's no room for the tenderness her warrior guard, Ariston, stirs. When Olympus frees her from service, her heart leads her into the arms of the guard she loves... and curses her as the creature with serpent locks.

Ariston goes to war with a full heart... and dreadful foreboding. He learns too late of the danger Medusa faces, alone, and a Persian blade sends him into the Underworld. But death, curses, nor the wrath of the Gods will keep him from returning to her.

Poseidon will use Greece's war to get what he wants: Medusa. He does not care that she belongs to another. He does not care that she will be damned. He is a God, an Olympian, and she will be his.

Excerpt:
“You asked for an audience, you have it. Now tell me, where do you belong?” Hades’ voice was deep, emotionless.
            Ariston swallowed. “Athens.” He met Hades’ gaze, but the God revealed nothing to him.
“Why? You died with honor and glory. Is that not what every soldier wants?” 
            “My wife…” His voice wavered.
Hades brow lifted slightly. “Lives. You do not.”
            “She is in danger.”
            “Earthly danger. She is no longer your concern, Ariston.”
            “The danger she faces is not earthly, but far from it…” Ariston’s voice was hoarse, his desperation mounting. He took a wavering breath before he began again. “She is everything to me. I am proud of my death, but it means nothing if she is in peril. I must know.” Ariston kneeled. “I beg you. I beg you to return me to Athens.”
            Ariston waited, willing himself to be strong.
            “Who is this wife?” Hades asked.
            “Medusa of Athens.” He paused. “Now of Rhodes.”
            Hades was silent, his dark blue eyes regarding him steadily.
            “When I die—” Ariston began.
            “You are dead,” Hades assured him.
“When I return…die again, I would serve as guardian to Tartarus. I am a skilled warrior, a skill I might offer you.” He spoke with confidence.
            “You vex me,” Hades muttered, the slightest crease appearing between his eyes. “You offer this to me for a woman?”
            Ariston nodded. “She is worthy.”
Hades was silent again, his eyes shifting to the blue-white flames in the massive
fireplace.        
“My words do not…adequately express the love I have for this woman. But I cannot leave her. She is at risk. I must return.” The words came without thought. How could he justify such emotion to a God who reviled affection or companionship? “As Olympus has my arm and sword, she has my heart – a mortal, and perhaps weak, heart.”
The room was silent for too long. He would have to fight his way out…
            “It is a weakness not reserved for mortals alone, Ariston of Rhodes.” Hades’ words were so soft Ariston feared they’d not been spoken. But Hades continued, strong and clear. “I will return you to your ship so that you may lead your men to victory. Too many have fallen from this war and I would see it end. When that is done, you may go to your wife.” He paused then added, “When you return to my realm, I will have your fealty.”
            The God of the Underworld, Lord of Death, gave him mercy? Mayhap there was one God he might serve with honor. 
Ariston vowed, “You have it.”

Thanks again for having me Laura. I’m a big fan!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING MY GUEST! Okay, everyone, leave Sasha some new release love! Did you have a favorite line from the excerpt! Thanks for reading!

Laura

10 comments:

Carol Kilgore said...

Hi, Ladies!

Great interview, Laura. And good to know more about you, Sasha.

Happy Weekend to you both :)

Kate Lutter said...

Sasha, I loved your interview and the excerpt. My favorite line--"You would do this for a woman??"
Because the answer is YES. That is love! Keep up the writing. We love you. Kate

Jolene Navarro said...

Oh, I love this line. "The room was silent for too long. He would have to fight his way out…" The idea, even in the face of failure he was developing another plan to get to his wife...Very nice Sasha.

Loni Lynne said...

Laura, great interview. Hi Sasha!
I can't wait to read your book!

Loni Lynne

Sandra Dailey said...

Powerful excerpt! I'm hooked.

Stephanie/PurdueLiz said...

Thanks Laura, I have a new (to me) author to check out! This story sounds incredible, I've really been enjoying stories that spring from mythology lately.

My favorite was this part: “It is a weakness not reserved for mortals alone, Ariston of Rhodes.” Hades’ words were so soft Ariston feared they’d not been spoken.

I think because I have a softness for Hades thanks to another series.

I'm going to be sure to check out this series, thanks Sasha!

Sally Felt said...

You had a Brother that took a floppy? That's fancier than the one I was so proud of as I went off to college. It had a daisy wheel and a tiny cache of memory so, for the first time ever, my flying fingers could get ahead of what was actually printing on the page!

I'll bet yours was like the one I had on my first job, with a little window that would let you see about 30 characters of your text before you committed to printing it.

'Scuse me. After all this tech talk from the age of stone knives and bear skins, I need to go hug my laptop.

Where's Hades? I believe you promised me a read...

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for all the great comments for Sasha everyone!

Sasha Summers said...

Yes, thank you for the comments!!! I'm so glad Medusa has found some new readers. YAY! Hades will be out soon Sally, I promise! And thank you Laura, for having Medusa and I on your lovely blog today. Have a fantastic weekend!

Sophia Rose said...

I love the idea of a love story about Medusa since I really enjoy Greek Mythology. Fun interview!

Thanks!