Monday, June 11, 2012

Welcome Guest Author Lynn Cahoon!

Welcome guest author
Lynn Cahoon
to the blog!

Welcome, Lynn!  Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

Hi, I’m Lynn.  I’m a write-a-holic.  Or at least part time.  Yes, I have a day job.  No, I don’t believe it’s my calling.  Telling stories is what I was born to do. Just ask my mother.

Love it! Okay, so, tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

The Bull Rider’s Brother is a secret baby, homecoming, reunion story.  Lizzie’s a strong, determined single mom who never reached out to James, her baby daddy, for help. When he shows up in town, his brother in tow, Lizzie has to decide if letting him into her life is worth the pain and confusion of a readymade family.

The setting is a fictional version of a lovely little town, nestled in the Idaho Mountains.

Ooh, sounds fun! Which character is your favorite and why?

JR.  The kid is priceless.  He’s spunky yet tender.  And like all good five year olds, tends to get in trouble, especially when he’s with his best friend, Sandy.

I have a special fondness for child characters after writing one in my first book! *grins* As the author, what surprised you about this story?

The change of plot line from where I started to where the book ended.  My original thought was to write as story about a woman who runs a tilapia farm in the mountains of central Idaho.  No rodeo.  No bull rider. No brother. But when the Sullivan brothers came on scene, they took over and all of a sudden, there was a different story to tell. Men, they always want to be in charge.  Even fictional ones.

LOL! Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

I’m working on Queen of the Stampede as we speak (err-type).  Barb Carico is Lizzie’s (The Bull Rider’s Brother’s heroine) best friend and Queen of the Stampede is Barb’s love story.  Then the final book will be how the bull rider (Jesse Sullivan) finally gets caught and falls in love. 

Awesome! What was the hardest thing for you about writing this story?

Relaxing and letting the story tell itself.  Giving up on my pre-conceived notions on where it should go.

Yes, so true! What are you working on right now?

Queen of the Stampede.  The second book in the Shawnee Rodeo Series.  My heroine’s best friend in Bull Rider’s Brother gets herself in a bit of a jam in Vegas.

After I finish Queen of the Stampede, I’ll be working on the second in my paranormal romance series that’s set to launch in November from Lyrical Press.

Wow! Lots going on! Good luck with it all! What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

It’s still on submission.  After a lot of changes and rewrites.  The only reason it’s still on submission after this long is that one publisher had it for six months, and the second a year. So now I’m going with a less traditional publisher (translate e-pub) and see if I can get it out there.

Good luck! What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

Easiest?  The beginning.  When the story still has the new car (or new boyfriend) smell.  Every one is cooperating, there’s no need to worry about conflict or the big black moment that is coming.

Hardest – the middle.  Where I tend to write without realizing what’s happening.  Having a daily word count helps so that I don’t get mired down and eventually, I sit down and write out bullet points for the rest of the manuscript.  Then the ending just flows.

Great look into your process there! Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

Growing up on a small farm in rural Idaho, I guess I was like Lizzie, my heroine in The Bull Rider’s Brother, looking for a way out to the big city. But life takes you on roads you don’t expect.  I was born in Nampa, Idaho. My father died when I was a baby, leaving my mother a widow with five kids.  When my mother remarried, we moved back out to the country, less than a mile away from the dairy farm where I was born. My graduating class from Kuna High School was sixty-three strong. 

Wow! Is there a theme or message that runs through your work?

That sometimes you find family you weren’t born into but are family just the same. 

I like that a lot! What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

I’m a realist.  Even after reading every fairy tale and working out the revised story starring me, I’m much more realistic about what life has to offer.

Which romance book or series (or other genre, if you don’t write romance) do you wish you had written?

It’s women’s fiction, but Friendship Bread by Darien Gee.

Of all the characters you’ve ever written, who is your favorite and why?

Melinda Baxter – a breast cancer survivor who pours herself into her career after her divorce.  Even when she meets her soul mate, she can’t trust the process.  I relate to Melinda a lot.

Okay, now, just for fun:
Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Dark.  I keep semi-sweet chips in the freezer for quick pick me up.

Salty or sweet? Both – but probably salty would win most days.

Bed or kitchen table? Bed. ‘Nuff said.

Beach or mountains? Mountains.  I so miss camping.

Give or receive? I’m a giver – to a fault.  Recently, I’ve realized I can give to myself as well. :)
Rodeo weekend is the start of the summer the entire town of Shawnee, Idaho. On a girl's night out, Lizzie Hudson finds herself comparing her life as a single mom with her best friend's successful career when James Sullivan, the cowboy who got away, walks his Justin Ropers back into her life.  Seeing him shakes Lizzie's world but James is in for an even more eventful weekend, learning he has a son.  James has enough on his plate trying to manage his brother's bull riding career.  Can he learn to redefine family and become part of Lizzie's life before she gives up on him and marries another?

The Bull Rider’s Brother is a series contemporary romance about Lizzie Hudson, a single mom who wants to keep her life just the way it is, thank you.  The problems you know are less scary than the problems you don’t.

When James Sullivan comes back for the town’s rodeo weekend and finds out that his high school sweetheart had his child, six years ago, Lizzie’s world is thrown into turmoil and she must decide if safety and certainty are worth giving up on a chance for love.  A love that an emotionally damaged James may never be able to return, breaking her and her son’s heart in the process.
Excerpt:

“I‘ll be there in a minute.” James knelt down next to the kid. He had a new straw hat. Staring at the sheep, James picked up a piece of straw and put it in his mouth like a toothpick.

The kid watched James and mirrored his actions. He, too, picked up a piece of straw and started chewing.

James grinned. “You riding tonight?”

“Yep.”

“First time?”

“Yep. Gramps bought me a new hat. He says I‘m big enough.”

“I rode at your age.” James laid his arms on the rails of the pen.

“You did?” The boy cast a glance downward and away, kicking the dirt with his toe before he asked, “Were you scared?”

“Heck, yeah. I worried I‘d fall. Then I was scared I‘d make a fool of myself and bawl my eyes out.” James peered at the barn toward where his brother stood talking to group of men. “I didn‘t want my brother to tease me.”

“My mom doesn‘t know. Gramps said it was our secret.” The kid bent his head towards one of the men talking to Jesse. “Do you think it‘s okay to have a secret from your mom?”

“As long as it‘s a good secret. Is she coming to the rodeo? Will she be here to watch you?”

“Yep. Gramps says she‘ll shit a brick when she sees me.” The boy grinned.

“She probably will.” James laughed and held out his hand. “I‘m James.”

“I‘m JR.” The boy shook his hand, stood up from his crouch and headed toward the men near Jesse. Turning around, he called, “Are you going to the parade?”

“Wouldn‘t miss it.”

“I‘ll see you then. They throw lots of candy and you even get an ice cream cone at the end.” He waved and took off at a run. When he reached the crowd around Jesse, he grabbed an older man by the knees.

Now that’s love.
Where can we find you on the web?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING MY GUEST, LYNN!

Please leave Lynn some new release love! Did you have a favorite line from the excerpt? Thanks for reading!
Laura

19 comments:

Lynn Cahoon said...

Can I change my sweet/salty answer to both? Found chocolate covered pretzels this weekend at a mini-writer's retreat and I've fallen in love again.

Thanks for having me over Laura Kaye!

Becky Lower said...

I just read your excerpt and can see why you love JR. He's cute and spunky. Love the line when he says his mom will shit a brick! Isn't that just like a kid? Nice job, Lynn.

Lynn Cahoon said...

Becky - there's a place in the book where he's talking about his best friend and why his dad isn't in the picture, I just love this kid...

Thanks for stopping by...

Laura Kaye said...

LOL! I suppose we can allow that, Lynn! Thanks for being here today! And thanks to Becky for kicking off the comments!

Kristina Knight said...

a little sweet and a little salty is my *favorite* snack, Lynn! Thanks for sharing more about TBRB - it's a great book!

Lynn Cahoon said...

Kristina,
Thanks for stopping in... I swear, those pretzels are dangerous.

Lynn

Carol Kilgore said...

I'm a salty woman, too. Favorite line from your excerpt:
"Gramps says she‘ll shit a brick when she sees me."

D'Ann said...

Can't wait for your sequels!

D'Ann said...

Can't wait for your sequels!

Aurian said...

Thanks for the interview ladies, I enjoyed reading it. I have not read cowboy romance (do you call it that?) for many years now, but lately I have seen some reviews and blogposts about it, and I am getting interested in the genre :) Good luck with the new release, and with the as yet unpublished first book!

Joan Leacott said...

I am so looking forward to reading my copy on vacation. Child characters can get away with saying all the things that adults will only think.

Lynn Cahoon said...

Aurian - I've had it called a modern western. I just think of it as a romance. LOL I hope you try The Bull Rider's Brother out and see what you think.

Lynn Cahoon said...

Joan - Child characters see the world how it is. Kind of like real kids. Have a great vacation.

Lynn Cahoon said...

D'Ann - from your lips to our editor's ears.. LOL

Lynn Cahoon said...

Yeah, Carol, the first encounter with James and JR is sweet and salty. Just like my favorite treats. :)

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for all the great comments for Lynn everyone!

Shelley Munro said...

Fun excerpt and very cute. This book has all the elements I love. :)

Lynn Cahoon said...

Shelley BRB was a blast to write. I just finished book 2 and it's on my editor's desk. Finger's crossed.

Ciara said...

I think most of us love the beginning and struggle with the middle of writing. Great excerpt. Sounds like a fantastic read..