Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Welcome Guest Author Cara Bristol! #Vampires #1NS

I'm very pleased to welcome guest author
Cara Bristol
to the blog today!

Welcome, Cara!  Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

Thank you so much for having me, Laura. I write erotic romance in the contemporary, domestic discipline and now, paranormal subgenres. For fun, I read, travel (my husband and I have been all over the world), and watch reality TV shows. My biggest project, other than writing, is that my husband and I are having a house built.

Ooh, I’ve always wanted to build my own house! You’ll have to share pictures! Tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

A SCENT OF LONGING is vampire romance, and Decadent Publishing released it on April 13 – Friday the 13th. How perfect is that? It’s about a newly turned vampire who is having a tough time adjusting to her new reality. Though she’s lonely, Lily Dansen is adamant about not dating other vamps – until she meets a Half Breed who’s been shunned by vampire society. They both despair of meeting anybody, of being able to fit in. A Scent of Longing is a 1Night Stand story and my first paranormal.

I think this sounds fantastic! And that cover is to die for! I’m such a sucker for vampires…no pun intended! What do you think is different about this vampire story than others?

Two things. First, Luc Fortier, as a Half Breed, retains part of his humanity. Second, A Scent of Longing has a tenderness and poignancy that you don’t usually find in vampire romances.  One reviewer said it made her cry.

Ooh, hanky alert! I love it! Which character is your favorite and why?

Lily, the heroine. She’s a mix of innocence and gutsiness that to me represents hope. But I like the hero, Luc because of his willingness to make himself vulnerable and risk heartbreak. So I don’t know. Let’s flip a coin.

Authors can never pick! *grins* As the author, what surprised you about this story?

It surprised me how easily it came together. It was one of those stories that seemed to “channeled.” I think readers will be surprised that even though this is a story about blood-sucking vampires, it’s a tender love story. You could take away the paranormal element and it would still be a good story (although I’d have to change a few of the “facts.”)

Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

I don’t have one in the works, but Phillip’s story demands to be told. He’s the vamp who turned Lily. And Roxie, Lily’s best friend, has secrets too.

Oh, the possibilities! What are you working on right now?

I’m in editing on my second Rod and Cane Society domestic discipline romance, False Pretenses. Loose Id will release it June 12. And, I’m writing another paranormal! This one, which I’m tentatively calling Destiny’s Chance, is a reincarnation story.

I read the first Rod and Cane Society story—so hot! What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

How do you define “first?” I wrote a “novel” in the fifth grade. It was 30 pages long and I still have it -- “The Mystery at Woodland National Park.” The first mainstream novel I wrote as adult, I self-published over a decade ago under another name. And Intimate Submission, my first erotic romance was published by Black Velvet Seductions. It’s available on Amazon for 99 cents and in the anthology, Spanked! (The exclamation point is part of the title. I’m not being overly exuberant).

LOL! What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

Really, it varies by book. But in general, dialog is easiest, sex scenes are the hardest because they require so much thought. It’s a like dance – it looks easy from the audience, but you don’t see the hours and hours of painful practice that goes into making it look easy.

Ooh, that’s the best way I’ve heard writing sex scenes described. I identify with that a lot! Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

Would you believe I was once a vampire? LOL. I do incorporate little snippets of detail, but my works are fiction. I lived in the Los Angeles area for more than half my life and set A Scent of Longing in the LA area. I once attended a meeting in a high rise Century City office building and could see the Pacific Ocean from miles away. I incorporated that view in A Scent of Longing.

You’re a hoot, Cara! Is there a theme or message that runs through your work?

Surprisingly, forgiveness. That’s one reason why I want to write Phillip’s story. Readers need to know why he turned Lily. In Reckless in Moonlight, a contemporary romance with Loose Id, the heroine forgives her cheating ex-husband. In False Pretenses, my second Rod and Cane story, the main character does something that hurts quite a few people, and she seeks forgiveness.

Ooh, I read Reckless, too—also hot! *grins* What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

I’m a very ordinary, pragmatic, down-to-earth person. I once had a boyfriend tell me I was “too pragmatic to be romantic.”  I guess I express my romantic nature in my novels.

Pffft! He apparently just didn’t inspire your romantic side! Okay, now, just for fun:

Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Dark

Salty or sweet? Salty. Pretzel crisps are my favorite (They’re flat pretzels).

Bed or kitchen table? Bed. But my characters have used the kitchen counter!

Beach or mountains? Beach. There’s just something about the call of the water…

Give or receive? Depends on what you’re talking about. Wink
Lily Dansen refuses to date vampires. The last time she trusted a one, he turned her. She agrees to a date arranged by 1 Night Stand, believing that a quick tryst is all that’s left for her.

A 376-year-old half-vampire, half human Luc Fortier can’t continue to satisfy the vampire fantasies of young ladies while his dreams go unfulfilled. He vows to bedazzle one last date before he calls it quits.

Neither Luc nor Lily expect more than an evening of passion, but they haven’t counted on Madame Eve’s superior matchmaking skills.
Where can we find you on the web?

Buy A Scent of Longing at:

Thank you, Laura, for having me! I’ve enjoyed your books, Hearts in Darkness and North of Need, and it was a pleasure to be here.

Thanks for reading everyone! Please leave Cara some new release love!


Cara Bristol said...

Wow, Laura. The page looks great! Thanks so much for the interview.

Tara Lain said...

Great interview, you guys! Enjoyed it and the book sounds wonderful. I love how authors tend to have a single theme that runs through all their work. : )

Amber Skyze said...

I agree with Laura, you described the difficulty of writing sex scenes perfectly.

Congrats on new vampire release. Sounds intriguing.

Debbie Gould said...

What a great interview! Love the covers also. And I soooooo agree with the difficulty of those sex scenes.
Congrats on the new release, it is offically on my list, lol.

Nona Raines said...

Thanks Cara and Laura for the interview! I love tender romances (with hot sex included, of course, LOL!) Your latest sounds wonderful and I'm very intrigued by your discipline series as well!

Laura Kaye said...

Woot! Welcome everyone! And thanks to Cara for being here!

Katie Harper said...

Ugh, I HATE writing sex! And attempting to write it has kind of made it difficult to read it because I know the sweat and tears that goes into writing sex.


Karla Doyle said...

Great interview, Laura & Cara!

Cara, you might find writing the sex scenes most difficult, but the end result is pretty hot, so keep doing whatever you're doing. ;)

Cara Bristol said...

Wow, thanks EVERYBODY for dropping by and commenting.

Karla, you raised an interesting point. You had told me that you write slow, but you don't have a first draft, because when you get done, you're done.

My sex scenes are like that. I labor over every word, every phrase, every nuance as I'm writing. Each sexual encounter has to fit the story and scene, and it MEANS something. It's never gratuitous; my characters don't just have sex because they're horny.

Mike Woody said...

Great interview, always enjoys learning more about you Cara.

TK Anthony + www.scotianrealm.com said...

Writing dialogue is easy? I envy you! I like your take on vampire romance, too. Great interview!

Allie Ritch said...

I really enjoyed the interview. Paranormal romance is one of my favorite genres, and I think the best ones are when you can take the paranormal element out and still have a really strong love story.

Jennifer Probst said...

HI Cara and Laura! What a great interview and the book looks amazing - can't wait to buy it!

Pauline Allan said...

Great interview Cara! I love the phrase, "Rod and Cane Society." It's so sexy! I had a writer once tell me that writing a sex scene is like writing about a violent gun shoot-out...everyone needs to know where their gun is pointed. Your covers look great!!

Cara Bristol said...

Again, a big thank you to everyone who came by and posted a comment. Your support means a lot to me. I've been very fortunate in my book covers.

My vampire hero in A Scent of Longing has very light blue eyes. The model on the cover has the most AMAZING perfect eyes.

Amber said...

You have to admire a perfect model.