Monday, March 12, 2012

Welcome Guest Author Katee Robert! #SciFiRomance

Welcome guest author
Katee Robert
to the blog today!

Welcome, Katee!  Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

Hiya! Thanks for having me!

I write sci fi romance and YA zombie novels, both under Katee Robert. I always joke that my muse has multiple personality disorder, and she’s only getting weirder as time goes on. I live and work in Eastern WA, and spend my time ogling men and planning for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Because, you know, a girl’s gotta have her vices.

LOL Awesome! Okay, tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

I have a novella coming out this month called The High Priestess. It’s a prequel to my Sanctify series and tells the story of Marianna, a Diviner, and Gerard, a lieutenant of hate-group Sanctify. He takes her captive with the intent of purifying her, but she has no intention of going to her death without a fight.

Sounds great! Which character is your favorite and why?

Gerard. I have a thing for damaged characters, and he’s a doozy. He’s lived his entire life on Sanctus, being raised to hate anyone who isn’t completely human. Then he meets Marianna, and she proceeds to knock his entire world on its head. Watching him begin to question everything he’s ever known and come out of the better man for it… Oh yeah, I loves him.

Ooh, Gerard sounds delicious! As the author, what surprised you about this story?

I was kind of surprised by a side character, Fisk. I went in expecting to despise every aspect of Sanctify because they’re evil all around. But then I meet this guy who’s funny and kind and just a decent man all around. It was an interesting contradiction since he’s a member of one of the scariest hate-groups in the universe.

Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

I have three full-length books under contract for the Sanctify series. The next one, Queen of Swords, is the story of Marianna and Gerard’s daughter, Ophelia. She’s a firecracker and every bit of her parent’s child.

Awesome! What was the hardest thing for you about writing this story?

This book was really difficult to write because I’d already written Queen of Swords (Book 2), in which Marianna and Gerard are parents. So going back and writing their story was odd for me because it was kind of like watching my parents make out. Which is… uncomfortable. LOL.

Oh, I bet that was interesting! What are you working on right now?

I’m actually toying with a contemporary romance (multiple personality disorder muse strikes again). It’s odd for me because I don’t know that I’ve ever written anything that didn’t have some sort of surreal element in it, but I love the characters completely.

Can’t wait to hear more! What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

Oh lordy. I wrote an epic fantasy called Mirror Mirror, and I pray to everything holy that no one ever reads it. It was well and truly terrible, but most first books are. Though there were some really smoking twins that I might bring back into a future work some day…

LOL What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

I love writing romantic tension. That give and take between a couple as they get to know each other is different with each pair and completely fascinates me.

Alternately, the hardest stuff for me to write is the sex itself. Yes, yes, I know how ironic that a romance author has a difficult time writing sex, but there it is. Those particular scenes tend to take me three times as long to write.

I don’t think you’re alone in that… Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

I don’t incorporate that stuff as much as random tidbits of conversation I hear. I’m quite the magpie with sayings and words—I collect them and they end up in my books as well.

Is there a theme or message that runs through your work?

Not consciously, though my women tend to be independent and strong (though not always physically). I think this is a reflection of my reading habits—if I don’t connect with the heroine, I won’t love it, regardless of how awesome the hero is. So I end up with women who can fend for themselves and who don’t need a man—then I give them the man they never knew they wanted.

Which romance book or series (or other genre, if you don’t write romance) do you wish you had written?

Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark series. I am OBSESSED with them right now—and kicking myself for not having found them before now. She writes the kind of snarky, sexy action-packed stories that I aspire to. I want to be her when I grow up!

Oh, yes! Love! Of all the characters you’ve ever written, who is your favorite and why?

Hands down, it’s Jenny O’Keirna. She’s the little sister of the hero, Boone, in Queen of Swords, and she is a woman who worships her vices. She runs her mouth, plots crazy plans, and is deadly with damn near any weapon she lays hands on. But her level of snark is fantastic and so much fun to write.

Sounds great! Okay, now, just for fun:

Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Milk chocolate all the way!

Salty or sweet? Depends on my mood, but definitely salty.

Bed or kitchen table? Kitchen table. Bow-chicka-wow-wow

Beach or mountains? Beach. I have a love affair with oceans and lakes.

Give or receive? Giving for sure. It makes me deliriously happy to do so.
Marianna Zain is in trouble. The handsome stranger she just kissed? He’s a member of the most terrifying hate-group in the universe. Even after he takes her captive, Marianna can’t shake her initial instincts that he’s a man of worth…and her only chance at escaping death.

One of Sanctify’s most decorated lieutenants, Gerard Leoni thought he had everything figured out. But then he crosses paths with a Diviner, the most despised of the alien races, and is honor-bound to bring her in. One night with Marianna makes him question everything he knows.

As the day of her scheduled execution draws near, Marianna forms a plan. She’s going to seduce Gerard—a task that would be simpler if she weren’t being seduced as well. But Sanctify doesn’t take kindly to their people cavorting with aliens, and instead of finding a savior, Marianna may be dragging Gerard to his death alongside her…
Thanks for coming on the blog, Katee! Where can we find you on the web?


Everyone, leave Katee some new release love! What do you like about science fiction romance?

Thanks for reading,
Laura & Katee

13 comments:

Rachel Harris said...

Great interview!!!! Katee is hilarious and this just made me love her...and her many personalities...all the more :) Thanks for having her Laura!

Rachel said...

Really enjoyed the interview and I'm liking the sound of this contemporary you're toying with, Katee!

Leah Rae Miller said...

Wonderful interview! I love the muse with multiple personality disorder comment, lol! Can't wait to read your stuff, Katee!

Paige Cuccaro said...

What a fun interview!! The stories sound awesome. REALLY lovin' the covers!! Looking forward to reading all these great books coming our way. YAY!!! Good luck, Katee!!

Robin Bielman said...

Great questions and answers! I really enjoyed reading this. Katee, your Sanctify series sounds awesome!

Shelley Munro said...

Great interview, and it was wonderful to meet you, Katee. It sounds as if you have lots of fun writing your books :)

fuonlyknew said...

Great to meet you Katee. I enjoyed the interview and will have fun reading your books.
laura thomas

Victoria said...

Nice interview. Katee is new to me.
I love how the women's eyes match the background of the book covers. Are they spelled out like this within the books?
I like the same thing as I do in paranormal - it's a different world and easy to escape within. Thank you.

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for all the great comments for Katee, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

Heather Howland said...

Awww, two of my girls in the same place! Katee writes sexy snark with the best of them. Can't wait until her books hit the shelves!

Taryn Elliott said...

Job complete! I totally want to read about these guys. What a fun interview. Sounds like you guys had fun with the interview.

Jennifer Probst said...

What a great interview! Super fun, and the book looks amazing!

Lisa B. said...

Katee did a great interview here. Also, you should probably follow her on twitter. She's very amusing. ;)

I've been lucky enough to have read early drafts of The High Priestess and Queen of Swords. They are both amazing books that I cannot wait to see on the shelves.