Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Welcome Guest Author Natalie J. Damschroder! #entangledbooks

Welcome to the blog to my fellow Entangled author 
Natalie J. Damschroder!

Welcome, Natalie!  Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

Thanks so much for having me today, Laura!

I’ve been writing romantic fiction for nearly 20 years, and just had my 10th novel published. Right now, I’m writing paranormal romance for Entangled Publishing and romantic adventure for Carina Press, both under my real name, Natalie J. Damschroder. My husband and I just celebrated our 19th anniversary, and we’re parents of two female anti-teenagers. When I’m not writing, I work part time as a chiropractic assistant and a freelance editor/proofreader. In the minuscule amount of free time I have left, I’m a rabid fan of Supernatural, Jason Manns, and the New England Patriots.

LOL Awesome description! Okay, tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

Under the Moon comes out in paperback today! (Also available in e-book.) It’s the first book in my Goddesses Rising trilogy, about modern-day goddesses whose power gives them strength, but also makes them targets. My heroine, Quinn Caldwell, and her protector, Nick Jarrett, team up with her assistant Sam Remington to track down and stop a leech from stealing power from goddesses.

Happy release day! This sounds so cool! And you know I love stories about gods and goddesses! Which character is your favorite and why?

Nick and Sam are my favorite. I can’t pick one! I love their relationship, which is overtly antagonistic but works surprisingly well when it comes to Quinn.

I love those kinds of relationships. As the author, what surprised you about this story?

Under the Moon was my first-ever NaNoWriMo book (National Novel Writing Month). Since I didn’t get the idea for the bones of the story until about two days before NaNoWriMo started, I was very surprised it went so smoothly from beginning to end. I’m still surprised that after years of rewrites and rereads and the whole production process, I love it as much as I ever did. :)

Wow! A NaNo success story to be sure! Congrats! Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

Yes! The Goddesses Rising trilogy continues next year with Heavy Metal, featuring a young goddess who has no idea she is one, and finishes up with Sunroper, where the heroine and her unlikely hero have to work together to stop a rogue goddess who has gone insane.

OMG sounds fantastic! What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

I still have it. I found it in a box last year and had to change my main bio because I’d remembered the title wrong. LOL It’s My Very Own Reading Book and it’s really a collection of mostly unfinished short stories featuring a boy named Bobby and Jamie Summers (aka the bionic woman). I wrote it in 2nd grade, so I was probably about 6.

ROFL! That’s so awesome! What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

Hmmmm. I don’t know if anything is always easy. LOL Hardest is definitely emotion and description. I tend to focus on action and dialogue and have to layer the others in once I get to revisions. Easiest is probably scene and chapter hooks, those lines that kind of punch you and force you to keep reading when you’re supposed to be doing chores or sleeping. :)

Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

I put a little something from my own life into everything I write, to varying degrees. In Under the Moon, Quinn owns a cabin in Michigan, near Sarett Nature Center. I did a summer internship there when I was in college. In Heavy Metal, I mention a restaurant that was a landmark in my childhood, and the restaurant’s owner makes a short appearance in the book.

Very cool! Is there a theme or message that runs through your work?

Not deliberately, but we all have one that can be impossible to get away from. Independence, a need for control, is the theme that finds its way into all of my writing.

Interesting, so, what would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

People never believe me when I say I’ve always been shy. I’m such a know-it-all control freak (sometimes labeled “leader” LOL) that people are always surprised to hear I’m an introvert. I also hate the telephone, and order pizza online so I don’t have to make a call.

Hello, fellow introvert! LOL Which romance book or series (or other genre, if you don’t write romance) do you wish you had written?

None of them, because if I had, I wouldn’t have had the joy of reading them!

LOL Love that! Okay, now, just for fun:

Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Dark, all the way—usually with toffee or nuts in it.

Salty or sweet? Both at the same time, or one right after the other.

Bed or kitchen table? LOL! I personally go for comfort, but the…er…immediacy of the kitchen table is always exciting.

Beach or mountains? Again, both, but the beach edges out the mountains just a little.

Give or receive? Oh, man, I’ve gotten predictable. Both! I love the satisfaction of giving someone something I know is just right, but I also love getting something I’ve wanted desperately.
Their power gives them strength…and makes them targets.

Quinn Caldwell is the epitome of a modern goddess. Her power source is the moon, her abilities restricted only by physical resources and lunar phase. She runs a consulting business and her father’s bar, serves on the board of the ancient Society for Goddess Education and Defense, and yearns for Nick Jarrett, professional goddess protector and the soul mate she can never have.

But someone has developed the rare and difficult ability to drain a goddess of her powers, and Quinn is a target. With the world thinking Nick has gone rogue (whatever that means) and that Quinn is influenced by “family ties” she didn’t know she had, keeping themselves safe while working to find the enemy proves harder each day.

But not as hard as denying their hearts…

Thanks for being coming on the blog! Where can we find you on the web?

Everyone, please leave Natalie some release day love! Thanks for reading!
Laura & Natalie


Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Laura, my cover looks gorgeous against your blog design! LOL

Thanks so much for having me today!

Laura Kaye said...

Yes, yes it does! Thanks so much for being here today!

Victoria said...

Hi Natalie - I agree that your cover looks wonderful with Laura's background. I haven't read you but I like the idea of a goddess who gets her power from the moon and she's not a werewolf is she?

Jennifer Snow Books said...

Congrats on your release day Natalie. Very exciting! I'm always jealous of authors who can do trilogies:) The cover is fantastic:)


Sophia Rose said...

Happy Release Day!

Your book sounds fab and the cover does look well on this background.

Loved the interview; thanks for the post!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

LOL, Victoria! Nope, no shapeshifters in this series. They're all just extraordinary humans. :)

Thanks, Jennifer and Sophia!


Dear Natalie thank you so much for this great honour , Really it was intersting interview , I enjoyed each word and one thing thrusted deep into mind that people who are introvert can explode wonderful through pen , All my best wishes and greetings on Release , Love you my so nice friends , I look forward reading your Lovely books my friends But you know I am millions miles away and dear sometimes I had strong feeling of holding you all my friends very close to my bosom but each time I can imagine only . Congrats again !

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Thanks for the lovely message, Jarnail!