Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Welcome Guest Author Boone Brux! #entangledbooks #demons

Welcome Fellow Entangled Publishing Author 
Boone Brux 
to the blog today!
Happy New Release, Boone!

Welcome, Boone!  Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

Thanks so much for having me, Laura. I’m Boone Brux and I’m very excited to be here today. Let’s see, I write fantasy, paranormal romance, humor, and dabble in erotic romance, pretty much any genre that lets me escape reality. I’m published through Entangled Publishing *gives lame fist pump* and Red Hot Publishing.

LOL Love that! Okay, tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

Shield of Fire is book one in my Bringer and the Bane series. It tells the story of Rhys and Ravyn. He’s the last full-blooded Bringer, who are a race of beings that protect humans from the Demon Bane. Rhys saves Ravyn from a demon after she flees from Menda Abbey and takes her under his wing to train her, but quickly realizes she is not mere human.

The Demon Bane are quite adamant about kidnapping Ravyn for their own nefarious purpose, so of course there’s lots of demon attacks, fighting, screaming and mayhem. Good times.

The more Rhys and Ravyn learn about her and why the Bane need her, the more questions arise about the Bringers and their past. Book one is the beginning of the end, the spark that ignites events that lead to the ultimate battle. *Cue music: du du du dunnn*

Indeed! *grins* Which character is your favorite and why?

Definitely Icarus, son of the demon king. I like him most because he gave me so few problems. His character was fully formed from the first time he walked onto the page. He’s also a fun challenge to keep bad but different from the other demons.

Sounds awesome! As the author, what surprised you about this story?

Okay, I’m going to be brutally honest and say I was most surprised that anybody wanted to publish it, especially when the editing process started. LOL. I asked my editor how they choose a book and she said if the storyline is unique, the writing smooth, and the voice strong, they can fix the rest of the stuff. I’m in awe of what an editors do, especially those who remain positive and encouraging when you know they want to throw their computer through the window.  

Editors are magical creatures, there’s no doubt about it! Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

Heck yeah! There are five books planned. Books two and three will be coming out in 2012.

Excellent! I love series! What was the hardest thing for you about writing this story?

I guess it was plotting out the entire series. I wasn’t much of a plotter, you know, the kind of person who won’t read the directions. When my editor and I started talking about book two and three, I realized I needed to know what threads to weave through each book and where to plant the seeds. I had a tendency to drop things into the story and forget about them. All that planning made my head hurt, but boy did it make the story cohesive. It’s amazing what having a purpose for putting something into a story will do for the plot. D’oh

I’m a total pantser, myself. What are you working on right now?

Book two of the Bringer and the Bane series. It’s tentatively been titled, Kiss of the Betrayer. I’m also finishing up a story for an Entangled Publishing anthology. All proceeds will go to Autism Awareness. It’s a great project. There’s also a Halloween anthology in the works. I’m teaming up with Patricia Eimer and Rosalie Lario. I’m so excited about this project. I can’t give out many details, but I have a feeling this is going to morph into a hilarious story.

What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

It just got published. Shield of Fire was the first book I ever wrote. However, I must qualify that by saying that the first version hardly resembles the final draft.

That’s awesome! What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

By far the easiest is humor. I love writing it. My husband is hilarious. Sometimes it’s like living with a stand-up comedian, but he’s great for inspiration.

Deep emotional stories are the most difficult. They wear me out. I internalize sad stories and get depressed. I’ve never watched the movie, Sophie’s Choice, but my husband told me what it was about and by the time he finished, I was bawling my eyes out. Thus I use humor to deal with most situations. That’s not always a good thing.

Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

Not yet, but I have big plans. Watch out friends and family.

Is that an evil laugh I hear?? *winks* Is there a theme or message that runs through your work?

Not on purpose, though I find it helps to have a central theme. In Shield of Fire it’s a duty before self theme. Book two is more of a living with guilt theme, but no real message besides good verses evil. Even those lines get blurred. Nothing is black and white. There are always exceptions to the rule. Those are what create the best twists and surprises in a book.

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

Well, my high school friends are probably amazed I can read, let alone write books. On a more obscure note, I was a live-in nanny in America and Europe for twelve years. I’ve got a whole series based around those experiences planned. It should be very cathartic. The names will be changed to protect…well, not the innocent, but me from law suits.

*chuckles* Which romance book or series (or other genre, if you don’t write romance) do you wish you had written?

I’ll state the obvious first, Harry Potter. A close second is Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series because humor is my first love. Wouldn’t have minded penning Karen Marie Moning’s Fae series. Seriously brilliant.

Good choices! Of all the characters you’ve ever written, who is your favorite and why?

I wrote an erotic short sci-fi story about a woman named Andromeda. She was mouthy, funny, and a loner. I think I enjoyed her so much because she said all the things I’d love to say. Later this year I’m going to rewrite and expand her story. I can’t wait to see what she has up her sleeve.

That sounds great. Okay, now, just for fun:
Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Dark, because it’s healthy and goes with red wine.

Salty or sweet? Salty, but potato chips dipped in chocolate would be great.

Bed or kitchen table? Bed, I love my bed. I’d live there if I could.

Beach or mountains? Beach

Give or receive? Receive
Protecting humans is the Bringers’ duty. Sending demons to the Shadow World is their pleasure.

In one night, Ravyn’s life plunges from barely tolerable to deadly. Forced to flee the only home she’s known, she stumbles headlong into the clutches of Icarus, a powerful demon intent on stealing her powers. Unfortunately for him, she has no intention of cooperating.

When Rhys realizes the woman he’s rescued from the Bane Demon is no mere human, his obligation as a Bringer dictates he protect and train her in the ways of his people. But he’s unprepared for the intense desire he feels for the fiery Ravyn. To surrender to his need may mean her death.

As the Demon King’s desire for ultimate power escalates, fathers are slated against sons, and foes are made allies. The Bane threat upon them, Rhys and Ravyn must quest to unite the last of the Bringers—and explore a passion too powerful to ignore.
 Thanks for being coming on the blog! Where can we find you on the web?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING MY GUEST, BOONE! Everyone, leave Boone some new release love! Isn't that an awesome cover?

Thanks for reading,
Laura & Boone


Laura Kaye said...

Thanks so much for being here today, Boone!

Chrisbails said...

Hi Boone, congrats on the new release. I do love the cover of this book. The tattoo is great, very sexy. This book looks good and will have to add to my must buy list. I love to read and always looking for new authors and books to check out and will be adding you book to that list.

Becky Lees said...

I'm with you on the sad movies. Give me a romantic comedy any day! My husband bought a sad movie. It's still in the wrapper sitting on my shelf for about 7 years now. I really should take it back to the store and see if I can get my money back. Can't wait to read SOF since you've revised. Loved the earlier version. This is gonna be awesome!

LizbethSelvig said...

Well, well, I should have known you'd pick receiving as your favorite :-D It's what I love about you, Boone -- your unadulterated honesty. I am so jazzed to read the final version of this book--with your talent and humor it's bound to be a best seller! Good luck -- fun interview!! Hugs.

Boone Brux said...

Thanks so much for having me, Laura. You're the best. Liz, I was thinking of one thing when I wrote receiving (wink wink)

C.J. Ellisson said...

Terrific interview, Laura! Great and clever replies from you, Boone, good job!

Okay, I'm even more stoked about reading this book now. Looks like I'll be cuddling up with my ipad later!

Wishing you all the success in the world, my friend!

Lisa Richards/alterlisa said...

Love that cover & tat! Also love finding a new author to add to my list!