Monday, December 12, 2011

Photos from a Great Weekend: Booksigning, Surprise Getaway, Holiday Fun!

I had the best weekend! I just had to share!

First, I had my first bookstore signing at Ukazoo Books in Towson, Maryland. There were 9 Maryland Romance Writers authors there. The crowd was small but attentive, and they asked questions and bought some books. So it was pretty cool and a lot of fun! And it was awesome seeing my books on shelves, too!

After the booksigning, MRW had its annual holiday party at president Sharon Buchbinder's house. The food was wonderful and the company even better! Plus, I received four awards for First Novel-length Publication, Publishing Multiple Novels in a Year, Publishing a Short Story, Publishing a Novella. The chapter gives out pins for each of these awards, which was pretty awesome!

After the party, my husband swept me away on a surprise getaway weekend. We spent the night at the luxurious Hotel Monaco in Baltimore. We had a premiere suite that was totally yummy! The next morning, we went to breakfast at the Blue Moon Cafe, which has been featured on the show Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, which is how we first learned of it. And we dived into a huge plate of Captain Crunch French Toast. No, I could not finish it, but it was fun trying!
Afterwards, we browsed the Hampden neighborhood of Baltimore, which we'd never visited before. It's several blocks of cute shops and restaurants. I treated myself to several handmade pieces of jewelry (I'm a total jewelry hound!), we shopped for a few hours, and then had lunch. We also couldn't miss the "Miracle on 34th Street" - a block in the neighborhood where the residents go all out decorating! It was really cool!

When we got home in the evening, we decided to keep the holiday celebration theme going and took the girls to a local drive-through holiday lights display. We go every year, usually on Christmas Eve, but we couldn't help ourselves and just had to go early! The display always makes me feel like a kid! And this year they passed out super cool 3-D glasses!

Then, I get the news that NORTH OF NEED is up for Sizzling Read of the Year! This was the result of the book winning Sizzling Read of the Month for December, and it would just be so awesome to earn such a big honor for the book!

So, I'd say that was a dang good weekend, wouldn't you? Tell me something great about your weekend! Thanks for reading,
Laura

14 comments:

Erin said...

Spent Saturday with my mom and my daughter shopping at the forum shops at ceasers palace.. then went to see the conservatory at The Bellagio to check out their Christmas decorations. Wonderful day with family... Sounds like your weekend was wonderful.... And Congrats on being up for Sizzling book of the year!

Stephanie Dray said...

Fantastic. I was so glad to be a part of it!

Victoria said...

I love your post. Who wouldn't love a store of shoes and chocolate ;). Glad you had such a great weekend.

The best thing about my weekend was getting the Christmas cards done. Other than that things went not so good for me :(.

vsloboda(at)gmail(dot)com

Kittie Howard said...

Congrats on those well-deserved awards! Here's hoping you receive Sizzling Read of the Year! And your husband seems like a really nice guy. You're a beautiful couple!

Christi Barth said...

Glad to hear you made it to 34th st to see the hubcap tree - it was hard trying to explain to Brian where to go without drawing a map on a napkin! And I'll see your jewelry addiction & raise you....

Laura Kaye said...

Aw, you guys are the best! And thanks for sharing the great things in your weekends! And thank you Christi for pointing out Hampden! :)

abookwormshaven.com said...

Sounds like such a great weekend! I wish I knew you were signing, I would have come out since I live so close to Maryland. Oh well, I will have to look out for your signings in the future so I can try and make it. Hope your week is as good as your weekend was! :)

Jennifer Lane said...

Cute pic of you and hubs! Glad the weekend went well.

Laura Kaye said...

@abookwormshaven--I've got two other signings coming up! On 12/17 I'll be in New Jersey and on 1/14 in Towson, MD again. So maybe next time! :)

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Eliza Knight said...

What a great surprise! Sounds like so much fun, and shoes and chocolate, wow! Good to see you on Saturday, I love listening to the readings, its so much fun!

Chrisbails said...

Had to work. Read a couple of books. Pretty boring. This coming up weekend going to finish Christmas shopping.
christinebails@yahoo.com

Laura Kaye said...

Yay Eliza! Great being on the booksigning with you, too! And Chris--good luck! I'm only about 2/3 done!

Sharon Buchbinder said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend to me! :) Enjoy it Hon!

Hugs,

Sharon

Laura Kaye said...

It was, and you helped Sharon! Thanks for being such a great host Saturday night! :)