Saturday, December 31, 2011

Oh, What a Year! 2011 in Review!

This time last year, I wrote on this blog, "If 2011 is half as good as 2010, it'll be damn great!"

Well, 2011 was so good to me I don't think "damn great" begins to cover it.

Looking back on 2011, I'm just stunned at the good fortune I've experienced in my writing career so far. This time last year, I was still months away from releasing my first book, hadn't yet launched my website, and had two books sold. Oh, what a difference a year makes. Here's what 2011 had in store for me:

I wrote approximately 220,000 words this year! That's a lot of #1k1hr on twitter! Actually, I discovered #1k1hr in 2011, so there's that, too! LOL

I received four new book covers this year.

I sold seven new books and two series - Hearts of the Anemoi to Entangled Publishing and Vampire Warrior Kings to Harlequin Nocturne.

I received my first ever "call" from an editor - from Nocturne's Tara Gavin.

My first novella, Hearts in Darkness, released in April.

My first novel, Forever Freed, released in May.

My second novella, Just Gotta Say, released in September.
My second novel, North of Need, released in November.

I wrote my first books on contract, as opposed to just whenever my brain happened to cooperate. Turns out it's a very different experience! Do you agree?

I organized my first-ever book blog tours. Now I've done four. Oy.

I received my first-ever book reviews. At first, it was scary as heck, just the action of clicking the button to open the website. Now, even though that flutter's still in my gut, it's not as scary, even when they're not as good as I'd wish!

I received my first reviews in Romantic Times (for Hearts in Darkness and North of Need)

My books won their first awards: NJRW Golden Leaf Award for Best Paranormal of 2011 to Forever Freed, and Sizzling Read of the Month for both Hearts in Darkness and North of Need.

I attended my second RWA National Conference and met Sherrilyn Kenyon, which was a wonderful moment.

I attended my first NJRW Put Your Heart in a Book Conference and loved it! Will definitely attend again! It was also at this conference that Stephanie Dray and I brainstormed a wonderful team project we're going to be co-authoring this year!

I launched my website, designed by the awesomely awesome Rachel / Parajunkee.

For the first time, I got to work with a publicist, the wonderful and amazing Dani Barclay!

I designed my first-ever book trailers, after taking a class through the RWA-PRO section.

I achieved PAN status in the RWA (Published Authors' Network) for making a minimum $1,000 in sales on one title (Hearts in Darkness).

Three of my four books hit Amazon bestseller lists (Forever Freed, Bestselling Gothic Romance; Hearts in Darkness, Bestselling Contemporary Romance; North of Need, Bestselling Fantasy Romance)

I had my first booksigning this year. And sold three books. LOL

I participated in my first Baltimore Book Festival. (I think I sold 5 books there!)

I became really great friends with a number of writers from my local RWA chapter, the Maryland Romance Writers, and each one is a friendship I truly value!

All this and I feel like I'm forgetting so many things that made this year wonderful and exciting and more than I ever imagined! My head spins just thinking of it!

I want to thank each of you for all the help you've given me throughout the year! So, as you look back over your 2011, what are you most celebrating?

Thanks for reading, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Laura


4 comments:

naelany said...

Wow, 2011 has truly been a banner year for you. I hope 2012 will knock you off your socks with wonder :-) You certainly deserve every bit of awesome coming your way.

I'm so very proud of you and everything you've accomplished so far.

Happy New Year, sweets!

Laura Kaye said...

Thank you so much, naelany! :)

ML said...

Congratulations! That is phenomenal! You are an inspiration.

Laura Kaye said...

Oh, what a wonderful thing to say, ML! Thank you!