Monday, November 7, 2011

Guest Author Jess Macallan Shares Her Favorite Love Triangles #entangledbooks

I'm thrilled to have fellow Entangled author
Jess Macallan
here as my guest today!

Welcome Jess!

Jess has a totally fun post for us about which I know a lot of you will have opinions! Your favorite fictional love triangles! Take it away, Jess...


Laura, thanks so much for having me here today! I’m excited to visit a fellow Entangled Publishing author. I’m celebrating the release of Stone Cold Seduction, the first book in my Set in Stone trilogy, available now. In the book, Elle Fredricks, is torn between two hotties—the gorgeous gargoyle Jax, or the fiery phoenix MacLean. 

Ah yes, the quintessential love triangle.

I’ve discovered readers have very strong opinions about love triangles in romance. Some hate the push you-pull me element. Others love wondering who it will be. As a reader, if it’s done well, I’m hooked. Below are a few of my favorite love triangles:

Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum Series--Joe Morelli or Ranger. I don’t know about you, but I don’t envy Stephanie Plum’s choice. The hot Italian cop or the steamy Latino bounty hunter? Um…both please! Seriously though, I love this series. Janet Evanovich has managed to draw this love triangle out for eighteen books, and I’ve loved them all. For the record, Ranger has my vote.

Karen Marie Moning’s Fever Series--V’lane or Jericho Barrons. Okay, so this series has already wrapped up, and I think we all knew who Mac would choose, but wow. Karen Marie Moning did a fabulous job with these guys. Who wouldn’t want a dark Fae prince and a sexy immortal fighting over her? If you haven’t read the series, I won’t spoil it for you, but I was happy with the outcome. *winks*

Patricia Brigg’s Mercy Thompson Series--Adam or Sam. Again, I won’t spoil it for you, but these two alphas werewolves are hot. Very hot. And what I loved most about this series is that she didn’t draw it out too long, she tortured the characters in a way that allowed readers to really connect with them, and she eventually gave everyone a chance at love. Pure awesome.

Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse Series—Poor Sookie. This series offers a few options at any given time…Bill, Eric, Alcide, and I know I’m missing some. After reading the most recent release, I have to go with the Bill or Eric. Hmm…A southern gentleman vampire or a Viking vampire? Part of me will always root for Sam (I know, I know, he wasn’t one of the options) but this is why I adore love triangles. Real life can be messy like this. The real challenge is having a character who can get through it and make the right choice.

Elle’s decision isn’t easy—Jax or MacLean. Jax is her current obsession. MacLean is an old flame who also has a claim on her heart. In a perfect world, everyone would find their perfect mate for their very own happily ever after. But Elle doesn’t live in a perfect world. And deciding which man she’ll spend the rest of her life with is only one of many tough choices she’ll face.

What book or series is your favorite love triangle in?

Thanks again for having me, Laura! I love chatting with readers. 

You're so welcome, Jess! Great topic and enjoyed having you here! Now, dear readers, leave Jess some comment love! And leave your email address to enter to win an ebook of STONE COLD SEDUCTION!
I hope you’ll all come find me at:

Get your copy of Stone Cold Seduction at:
SET IN STONE SERIES - Book One

“Elle. It’s just Elle.”

When a regular night of Robin Hood‐ery results in the manifestation of some, um, unusual paranormal abilities, perfume‐maker Elleodora Fredricks realizes the normal world she lives in isn’t quite… normal. And neither is she, thanks to her father, king of the shadow elves. Not only is he evil incarnate and the reason Elle moonlights as a burglar—someone has to take care of all his victims—he’s stolen her memories.

And only reading her fate can fix that. Good thing she’s got a trio of hotties willing to help her find said fate, but only if she gives them something in return. Saving her oracle BFF’s fiancĂ©e, falling in love with the gargoyle, and making up for breaking the phoenix’s heart ought to be a piece of cake for the princess of the shadow elves.

If only the king didn’t want his daughter dead…

Now, read on for a hot excerpt!...

“You are my true mate.”

My lips were still tingling, and my brain was fuzzy. “Jax, I’m not sure what that means.”

He didn’t answer, but instead pressed a kiss to my temple. And another to my cheek. Slowly, he nuzzled his way to my neck. I let my head drop to one side, giving him better access.

He whispered his approval, and lightly nipped at my neck. “It is a connection between souls. A bond determined by fate. I will show you what it means.”

His lips and tongue were doing a slow, erotic dance along the oh-so-sensitive skin down my neck, and coherent thought was impossible. He could show me whatever he wanted, as long as he didn’t stop.

I sighed, and Jax took that as acceptance. Before I knew what he was going to do, he’d scooped me up and was halfway up the stairs.

“Jax!” I yelped.

He stopped, but his muscles were vibrating with energy. He waited until he had my full attention before repeating, “I will show you. We are mates, connected in ways you and the phoenix will never be.”

His silver eyes were bright and intense. I could admit to having had many, many fantasies where he’d carried me upstairs, and all sorts of amazing things had happened. But this was real. And he was dead serious. It scared me, thrilled me, and seriously confused me.

When I didn’t respond, he lowered my feet to the floor and pressed me up against the wall in the narrow stairwell. His eyes held mine as he leaned close. “I will show you, so there are no doubts.”

Then he kissed me again, and this time, he held nothing back. Possession, need, and barely leashed control. Jax’s mouth told me more than words ever could. He leaned against me so our bodies were in full contact. Need burned through me. His taste, his touch, drowned out my worries. His scent surrounded me. He smelled crisp and clean. Like a sunny, winter day. But the heat he created inside me was intense. Just like the man himself.
Jess lives in the Inland Northwest with her husband and three children. She thrives on creative chaos. Curiosity drives her to try new things as often as possible.

When not writing or chasing trouble, she teaches yoga, reads, runs a mini farm, watches MMA and gardens. The only things she takes seriously are chocolate, tea and world domination. But mostly chocolate.

10 comments:

zencherry said...

Oh but it's got to be Eric or Alcide. Nummy. Give me a barbarian any day. :D
Great post!

Rosalie Lario said...

Okay, I might get some stones thrown at me, but I love the Bella-Jacob-Edward triangle in Twilight. And yes, I'm a Jacob girl all the way. :-)

Laura Kaye said...

OMG Rosalie. You and me are going to come to blows! LOL O.O

Thanks for commenting, zen!

Welcome Jess!

Jenna said...

Personally, I just want Stephanie to make up her mind. Marry Joe and leave Ranger for me.

Rhianna said...

I feel so guilty jumping in because I didn't like your book Jess! Sorry! *looks sheepish*

But uhm... this is a great topic! (That it was a love triangle story is one of the things I liked about your book!) I know some readers get sick of the love triangle trope but it never gets old for me. I think it's the idea of having options. lol The opposite sex never showed me interest when I was young enough to care dramatically about those things so the idea of more than one doing so... just always makes me grin.

I liked the Adam-Mercy-Sam love triangle but never felt like there was any way Sam had a chance. He loved her for the wrong reasons.

My favorite is actually Ren-Calla-Shay from the Nighshade series by Andrea Cremer. Team Ren! I also enjoyed the Puck-Meghan-Ash love triangle but again felt like Puck had no chance.

I tend to enjoy them more when the guys have a more equal chance of being the one like Jax and MacLean do.

Victoria said...

I haven't read many with love triangles but I think I'll go with Nightshade's Calla/Ren/Shay.
vsloboda(at)gmail(dot)com

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for all the comments everyone! Keep 'em coming! I'll leave Jess's giveaway open through end of the day tomorrow (11/8)!

Jess said...

Hi everyone! Thanks for stopping by!

Zencherry--I loved Alcide in the book series initially. If I had to choose now, I'd go with Eric. There's something about those Vikings... ;)

Rosalie & Laura--I've never read that series, but I've seen women ready to brawl over Edward/Jacob. I love it when readers are that emotionally connected to characters!

Jenna--Did you see she's supposed to release a Stephanie book this month and she finally chooses? I'm on pins and needles.

Rhianna & Victoria--I've never read that series, but I'm adding it to my To Buy list!

Laura, thanks again for having me today. This is an awesome group. :)
Jess

Nina Croft said...

I absolutely love all the examples (except maybe Twilight - I mean I liked it but I didn't love it)but I think the only one I wasn't entirely clear on who I wanted to win out, was Stephanie Plum - both Ranger and Joe are so hot!
I also really liked the Anita Blake - Richard - Jean-Claude trio - until Richard got really annoying!

Laura Kaye said...

And, the winner of Jess's STONE COLD SEDUCTION is...Jenna!

Congratulations! Jess will be in touch! And thanks to everyone for your comments!