Friday, September 23, 2011

Rachel Firasek on Musical Inspiration

As I'm Baltimore Book Festivaling it all weekend, starting today(!), I'm so very pleased to turn my blog over to my friend and fellow Entangled author, 
Rachel Firasek! 

Take it away, Rachel...

Every author has their own quirk when writing and many will tell you not to listen to music with words while you’re writing. I happen to love my words, so I jam it out with a new playlist for each song. Often the songs will change before the story is finished, but the final result is the playlist that usually helped me the most.  If you’ve read The Last Rising, I think you’ll be able to tell where I was at in the story by each song on the list. I hope you enjoy my eclectic array of music. 


And I’d love to know if any of these are a fave for you, or if there is any song that I should check out!



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


CURSE OF THE PHOENIX, BOOK 1:  


Now Available!
 
After paying two millennia’s penance to Osiris, world-weary Phoenix Ice has had enough. Saving souls without any hope for her own redemption isn’t how she imagined spending eternity. Fed up, she decides her next death will be her last. But when she sacrifices her own life for a sexy Texan in a catastrophic plane crash, she has no idea the consequences will be so great…or that she’ll end up back in his life for her next assignment.

Now that Turner Alcott has survived the worst, finding a wife and mother for his son matters more than ever before. When the mysterious Ice comes into his life, Turner knows she’s the one—but love is the last thing Ice wants. If he wants to win her heart, Turner must teach Ice how to forgive herself, and prove that love is the ultimate sacrifice.

THE LAST RISING EXCERPT:
“Why is it I can’t get you out of my mind? You say we haven’t met, but my dreams remember you.”

Oh yeah, he’d dreamt of a woman for months now. She resembled his dream woman in so many ways, but he’d never seen his fantasy lover’s face.

She struggled against his clutch. “Mr. Alcott, I assure you we haven’t met. And for your other question, I don’t know why, but you need to release me.”

Why did that quivering bottom lip make him suspect she was lying? Turner rested his forehead against the top of hers and sucked in her scent. “Please, tell me I’m not losing my mind. Tell me you don’t visit me every night and I’ll promise to leave you alone. I just need to know.”

He sounded like a crazy man but she had to tell him. She was the only one who could put a stop to his mind’s constant fantasizing, and this feeling of déjà vu every time he saw her.

Ice wriggled in his arms, her thighs chafing against his slacks. “Mr. Alcott, you need to let me go.” She glanced around his shoulder. “Brodie is probably staring out that glass window and I would hate for him to get the wrong impression.”

She was right. He needed to get ahold of himself, but he didn’t have the strength to walk away. His hands traveled up and over her shoulders, stalling on her neck. Brushing his thumbs against her jaw, he pressed her head back and stared into hard eyes—no emotion. Couldn’t she see the battle he fought?

He teased the corner of her mouth with his thumb and her breathy gasp pleased him. So, she wasn’t completely immune to him. He dropped his head until his mouth hovered over hers.

“Mr. Alcott—”

“Shhh. I just need a taste of the sunshine.”

THE CURSE OF THE PHOENIX, BOOK 2: THE LAST AWAKENING

Releases November 1, 2011

 For three hundred years, Arabella’s life has been one meaningless death after another. In a cruel twist of fate, Osiris gifts the phoenix her mortality and long-gone voodoo magic with a warning that she must save her next soul within a week without using magic, or she’ll lose her power forever.

Ex-soldier Greyson Meadows desperately wants to be freed from the nightmares and guilt that haunt him. Confronted by a waif of a woman who forces him to face the truth about his past, he runs fast and hard, fighting the need to prove himself worthy despite his perceived failures.

When Ari becomes the target of her own magical blunder, the weak will find strength and the strong will fall. One will have to give up everything so the other can have peace, but will love’s magic withstand the loss?

 And, stay tuned for Book 3 which releases January 2012!
Find Rachel on the web: Website | Twitter 
Thanks for reading! Leave Rachel some comment love!
Laura 

11 comments:

Laura Kaye said...

Welcome to the blog, Rachel!

R Firasek said...

Thanks, Laura! I'm so glad to be here! I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks of my tunes.

VICKI BATMAN, a sassy writer of sexy and funny short fiction said...

Hi, Rachel. I don't do playlists. A while back, I picked up a CD I played when my kids were little and started listening to it again. It's spanish guitar. All of the sudden, I had to have more. Then I had to have a Nano to download all the tunes. I have about 400 spanish guitar songs. And as crazy as this sounds, I'm never tired of them.

Good post!

R Firasek said...

Vicki, you so get it. It's the inspiration rather than the type of music. Those spanish guitars spoke directly to your heart. Thanks for sharing. :)

metallifan15 said...

HI Rachel and Laura,

I can't agree more with you on this Rachel. With certain stories certain songs usual bring themselves front and foremost in my mind as I'm reading. If I so happen to have that song in my collection you can bet I'm going to turn it on to enhance the mood and feel of whats happening. As Rachel knows this is true of one character I've talk to her about..Yes, Rachel, she has her own set of words and they initially came from songs which created certain emotions.

This is part of what songs are about, bring about an elicit emotion or feeling out of the listener, just as books do with their wondrous stories and characters. Which both of you do so eloquently in your novels.
I have to say, I do LOVE Iris the most from that list.

Thanks for sharing the music inspirations and keep the tracks playing!!

~Sara

lbdiamond said...

Nice playlist! I love these bands, especially Massive Attack!

Congrats to your book releases, Rachel!!! Woot woot!

Jus Accardo said...

Killer playlist, Rachel :D As someone who cannot write without one, I can so appreciate this!

R Firasek said...

Ah, Sara, you are so awesome. You brighten my day! Hugs, girl. And thanks for sharing the readers take on the music. Love that! ;)

Laura, Massive rocks. Live them. Thanks for coming by!

Jus, I see your comments about music all the time and find myself rushing to check out the bands. I'm such a music ho. lol. Thanks!

Roxanne Rhoads said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the playlist- see your a 90s girl just like me

Laura Kaye said...

I'm a huge Goo Goo Dolls fan myself and totally adore Iris! Great playlist! Thanks for being here, Rachel!

And thanks to everyone for all the great comments for Rachel!

R Firasek said...

Roxanne, you and I are going to get along famously at AAD. LOL! Yes, 90s all the way!

Laura, thank you so much for having me over. And thanks to everyone for stopping by!