Thursday, August 4, 2011

Entangled Publishing Celebrates with Sarah Gilman!

I'm so pleased to welcome fellow Entangled Publishing author 
Sarah Gilman!

Welcome, Sarah, and congratulations on being one of the EP Launch Authors!  Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

Hi Laura! I’m Sarah Gilman and I write paranormal romance. I’m fascinated with the allure of winged creatures and try to bring that to life in my novels. I live in Vermont with my supportive husband and two spoiled cats.

Wonderful! Okay, so, tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

OUT IN BLUE, book one in the Return to Sanctuary series, is available now! A fast-paced paranormal romance featuring angels and demons, OUT IN BLUE features a tender romance on the backdrop of a dark and violent world.

Guys, I have had the immense pleasure of reading the first five pages of this book—and it left me absolutely salivating for the rest! So, Sarah, which character is your favorite and why?

I love all my characters, especially when I’m writing them, but I am particularly fond of Ginger, the heroine of OUT IN BLUE. Ginger is a woman who knows what she wants and is not afraid to pursue her goals. In Blue, you won’t find the heroine struggling to decide what to do or fretting over whether she wants to be with the hero verses someone else or doing something else. She is decisive and proactive, one of my favorite qualities in any character.  

She sounds like a compelling character, indeed. As the author, what surprised you about this story?

I am more a “panster” than a “plotter” so many of the book’s twists surprised me as they emerged.

I love that—it’s the same process of discovery the reader goes through (as you might guess, I’m a complete pantser myself!) Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

Oh yes. I’m currently finishing the draft of DEEP IN CRIMSON, book 2. More novels and novellas are planned to follow.

Ooh, that’s a great title! What was the hardest thing for you about writing this story?

Developing the heroine, Ginger. Like many romance readers, I have strong opinions about what makes a good and a bad heroine. A heroine needs to have strengths without being too perfect and flaws without being too unlikable. Creating a balanced heroine is much harder than it looks. 

I totally agree! What are you working on right now?

DEEP IN CRIMSON, book 2 in the Return to Sanctuary series. When my brain needs to do something else, I work on another project I hope I can bring to readers in the future.

Good luck with both! What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

Well, OUT IN BLUE is the first book I ever wrote, as in truly finished. But many unfinished projects paved the way. A vampire romance, titled Chasing Midnight, was the first book I ever sat down to write. I made it through 30,000 words. It will remain forever archived on my computer, because I took several of my favorite elements from that story and incorporated them into OUT IN BLUE.

I’m sure many of us have a book like that! Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

No, but I make a point of using real landmarks as often as possible. The Return to Sanctuary series is set in my home state of Vermont and other locations around New England.

That’s great for adding authenticity! What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

Hmm. Perhaps, after reading my love scenes (which don’t focus heavily on graphic detail) they’d be surprised that, as a reader, I favor authors such as J.R. Ward and Jeaniene Frost, who write very hot love scenes.

*grins* Ooh, good choices! Which romance book or series do you wish you had written?

Michelle Rowen’s Immortality Bites series. I adore her humor, and usually fail at humor myself.

Okay, Sarah, just for fun:
Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Milk!

Salty or sweet? Both! Just not as the same time.

Bed or kitchen table? Hmm. I’m certain I don’t know what you mean. *halo gleams*

Beach or mountains? I live in the mountains. Take me to the beach!

Give or receive? Both.
In a violent world where fallen archangels are hunted for their valuable plumage, Wren knows one thing for certain: the human woman who saved him from a poacher attack will die if she stays with him. The demon responsible for his parents’ gruesome deaths two decades ago pines for the chance to rip apart any woman who stands under Wren’s wing.

Wren doesn’t expect Ginger to stay by his side once she discovers his ability to drain life with a mere touch, yet she lingers. When an unusual talent of her own reveals the location of Wren’s father, Wren’s isolated world implodes. With the help of the demon protectors he’s sworn never to trust again, Wren risks everything to rescue his father, confront the demon who stalks his and Ginger’s every step, and claim his eternity with the most courageous woman he’s ever known.
Thanks for being on the blog! Where can we find you on the web?


Publisher’s Author Page: http://www.entangledpublishing.com
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING MY GUEST, Sarah! Folks, please leave Sarah some comment love! And don't forget to check out all the Entangled Publishing Special Events all week!

Thanks for reading,
Laura & Sarah

12 comments:

Brooke Moss said...

Congratulations, Sarah! Your book is on my list, and I, too, don't focus on writing all the deets of my love scenes, though I love a sexy scene from a fan perspective.

P.S. Your cover is still my favorite Entangled cover, btw.

Louisa Bacio said...

Not salty and sweet together? So does that mean no chocolate-covered pretzels?

Congrats on the release! I've bought *several* to give to friends and family ...

Shea Berkley said...

I'm a planner, which is a combination of pantser and plotter. I only plot the high points and the rest is total surprise.

Great interview!

Sarah Gilman said...

Morning Brooke!

They are much easier to read than to write! :)

Louisa,

Yeah, not a chocolate-covered pretzel fan! But give me one or the other any day! :) Hope the fam likes the books :)

Shea,

A planner, yes that's exactly me, too!

Aubrie said...

Deep in Crimson is such a great name for a sequel!

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for being here today, Sarah! And thanks for all the great comments everyone!

Sarah Gilman said...

Thank you so much for hosting, Laura! :)

Melanie Card said...

Great interview, Sarah. Love the title for your next book, Deep in Crimson. Congratulations on your release!

Laura Kaye said...

It IS a great sequel title, isn't it?

Rayka Mennen said...

What an awesome cover Sarah. Your book is on my TBR as well.
Cheers,
Rayka

Jus Accardo said...

Awesome interview, Sarah.
LOVE the title of book two!

saputnam said...

Great interview, Sarah! I love the cover! The people in Entangled's art department did a wonderful job!

Deep in Crimson is a terrific title for the sequel.