Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Entangled Publishing Celebrates with Lisa Kessler!

Please welcome fellow Entangled Publishing author 
Lisa Kessler!

Welcome, Lisa! And congratulations on being one of the ten launch authors for Entangled Publishing! Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

Hi Laura!  Thanks for having me on your blog!  I’m currently writing dark paranormal romance and urban fantasy.  My background is horror writing, and I’ve published scary short stories in magazines and anthologies.  When I’m not writing, I also sing professionally and have two CDs out.

Wow, the creative juices run strong in you they do! *scratches head* Not sure why I just channeled Yoda! Okay, annnnyway, tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

NIGHT WALKER is the first book in the Night Series.  Night Walkers are similar to vampires.  They’re immortal and also drink blood, but they also have a spirit animal that they can shift into at will and they originated from the Mayans, not from Europe, so the color of my world is a little more tribal.

Ooh, that’s a cool twist on vampires! Which character is your favorite and why?

Calisto is my favorite character.  He’s strong loyal and passionate, with a touch of dangerous mixed in. When I wrote him I was picturing Antonio Banderas from the Mask of Zorro movie.  That accent and passion inspired me.

That’s some good inspiration! Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

Yes!  NIGHT DEMON is the second book and it will be released in December, with a novella to follow in January and the final book to release next June.

Awesome! What was the hardest thing for you about writing this story?

Hurting Calisto.  The villain in this book was really fun to write because he’s incredibly intelligent, but also cold, calculating and more and more psychotic as the book goes on.  There is a point when he has Calisto backed into a corner with no good choices left.  He’s forced to make a choice that wounds him to his core. So that scene was heartbreaking for me to write.

Aw, black moments can hurt so good! What are you working on right now?

I’m editing NIGHT DEMON and finishing writing the novella, NIGHT THIEF.

What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

NIGHT WALKER was my first book.  And it’s been rewritten several times, then edited thoroughly by my publisher.  Shew!  But I’m really proud of how it turned out. 

Wow! That’s huge to sell your first book—big, big congrats! What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

I find writing villains to be the easiest for me to write.  (What’s that say about me? LOL)  Seriously though, I grew up reading horror and writing horror, and my voice tends to be dark anyway, so it’s fun for me to tap into it.  A good villain can really drive the story forward and keep the hero and heroine on their toes.

I also love writing dialogue!

The hardest thing for me to write are the details.  I tend to rush from one action scene to the next and gloss over things like setting, or the fact that they got their food in the restaurant but never were seated or ordered! LOL Luckily my first readers know this and usually help me slow down and fill in the blanks… J

So interesting to get a window into authors’ process! Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

Not people, but I have incorporated actual unexplained historical events, and added my own paranormal explanation.  I’ve also traveled to the places in my books.  It really helps me with setting and characterization if I can go there and experience the weather and watch how people interact there.  If it’s a historical site I also like to research the history as much as I can.

Very cool. So, what would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

Although I write very dark paranormals, I’m a huge Disney lover and a total chicken at horror movies! LOL 

*Grins* That’s awesome! Which books or series do you wish you had written?

Wow!  I wish I wrote Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles! J  (It’s not romance, but it’s vampires so I hope that counts…)

Totally counts! That would be on my list, too! Of all the characters you’ve ever written, who is your favorite and why?

I can’t pick a favorite! LOL  That’s like choosing one kid over another… *shudder*

LOL, all right, then! So, let’s have some fun:
Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Milk chocolate

Salty or sweet? Sweet!

Bed or kitchen table? Bed

Beach or mountains? Mountains

Give or receive? Give

He gave up his soul for a second chance to love her…

Two and a half centuries ago, Calisto Terana lost everything when a zealous priest murdered the woman he loved. Now, desperate for another chance to love her, he wants redemption for the mistake that cost her life.

She’s haunted by dreams of her own death…

After catching her fiance with another woman, Kate Bradley returns to San Diego to clear her head. The last thing she needs is romance, but after meeting Calisto she’s drawn to him in ways she doesn’t understand.

They’ve waited in the shadows for centuries…

Calisto has no doubt Kate is the reincarnation of his lost love, but the Fraternidad Del Fuego Santo has a new watcher with dark ambitions of his own. As old enemies reemerge and a new threat arises, the betrayal that enslaved Calisto to the night might destroy the only woman he’s ever loved again.

About Lisa:
Lisa Kessler is an avid reader and writer of dark fiction. Her short stories have been published in print anthologies and magazines, and her vampire story, Immortal Beloved, was a finalist for a Bram Stoker award.

Lisa recently signed a 4 book deal with Entangled Publishing to release her Night Series.  The first book, Night Walker, is scheduled to be released August 5th.

When she's not writing, Lisa is a professional vocalist, performing with the San Diego Opera as well as other musical theater companies in San Diego.

Thanks for being coming on the blog! Where can we find you on the web?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING MY GUEST, LISA! Folks, leave Lisa some comment love!

Thanks for reading,
Laura & Lisa


metallifan15 said...

Love Lisa and her new series. She is a wonderful storyteller! Can't wait to get caught up in Calisto's world this week. Congrats Lisa!!!

Laura Kaye said...

Isn't Lisa great??? Thanks so much for coming over and kicking off the celebration!

And, hey, everyone, keep a napkin handy--that cover is SOOOOOO lickable!


Manzanita said...

Laura, super interview. You ask all the right questions.

Lisa.... What great gifts have been bestowed upon you this life. To be a singer of opera and a writer of the dark side would have been my choice for talents, if I'd had the chance. :)Thank you for the insight into your life and work. It was a pleasure.

Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Sara! *Waving*

Thanks so much for coming by and commenting!!! Can't wait for you to read Night Walker!!! Hope you enjoy it...

Lisa :)

Lisa Kessler said...

Thanks for the fun interview Laura!!!! :)

And if you think the cover is lickable, wait until you see the poster!!! *swoon* Yum! :)


Lisa :)

Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Manzanita!

I'm glad you enjoyed the interview!

Thanks so much for stopping by to comment and share in the fun release day!!!

Lisa :)

Aubrie said...

I like the idea of night walkers! Very cool.

Brinda said...

If a cover alone could sell a book, you've got it made. It's the FIRST book you ever wrote? It's a magical moment indeed!Congrats.

Marian Allen said...

Hi, Lisa! ~waves~

The book sounds intense! I love the different take on vampires, and the Latin American flavor of this series. Congratulations on Release Day! :)

Marian Allen
Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

Nicola Marsh said...

Waving to my Entangled buddy Lisa :)

Great interview, but have to admit, every time I see that cover, I have a hard time concentrating on anything else...

Happy launch day!
'Future Girl'

Laura Kaye said...

OMG Lisa don't tease me with the idea of a life-sized cover. I don't think I could handle it!

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

CatherineKean said...

What a terrific interview! Calisto sounds like one yummy hero (and I'm not just saying that because of the fabulous cover). I loved Antonio Banderas in The Mask of Zorro, so I will have a great visual reference to keep in mind when I read the book. Congrats on your debut novel, Lisa!

Sarah Gilman said...

Congratulations, Lisa! :)

Rosa Lario said...

Great interview! I love your take on vampires. :-)

Jus Accardo said...

Great interview, Lisa!!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I have the same issues with details that you do! Setting and description especially. That's so unimportant! LOL

Love the Mayan-origin twist on your vampires.

Danielle said...

Hi Lisa! Congratulations! Aside from the drool worthy cover, I'm a vamp lover and cannot wait to read your book. Thanks to Laura for hosting Lisa today!

Melanie Card said...

Great interview, Lisa. And love your twist on the vampires.

Leanne109 said...

Great interview!

Really enjoyed it :)


Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for all the comment love for Lisa, guys! It's such a big day for her!

Dawn Marie Hamilton said...

Enjoyed the interview Laura and Lisa. Lisa, good luck with the series. I look forward to reading the first book.

Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Aubrie -

Thank you!!! I was very excited to give vampires a tiny little tweak.. :)

Thanks for commenting!

Lisa :)

blackroze37 AT yahoo.com said...

im glad to be a kessler stalker :)

Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Brinda! *Waving*

I agree!!! Night Walker's cover has magical "draw women to me" powers! LOL

I took a poster of the cover in to Office Depot to get it mounted on foam board for book signings, and pretty soon all the female employees were up at the copy center oggling it! LOL Magic! :)

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!!!

Lisa :)

Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Marian -

I hope you enjoy Night Walker!!! :)

thanks so much for stopping by and commenting!

Lisa :)

Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Nicola! *waving*

The Night Walker cover is extremely distracting isn't it? LOL

Thanks for stopping by on launch day Future Girl!!! You ROCK!!!

Lisa :)

Lisa Kessler said...

Hee! Laura it's not a life-sized poster. but at 11" X 14" it's MUCH bigger than the book cover! LOL

Thanks for having me over on your blog!

Lisa :)

Laura Kaye said...

Mmm...sounds deeeelicious, Lisa! Come on back any time! :)

Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Catherine -

Thanks for commenting!!!

Antonio Banderas dancing with Catherine Zeta-Jones in Mask of Zorro was definitely what I pictured as I wrote Calisto! *swoon*

Hope you enjoy the book! :) THanks again for stopping by!

Lisa :)

Lisa Kessler said...

Hi Sarah, Rosa & Jus!!!! *waving*

THanks so much for stopping by on the busy crazy launch day yesterday!!!

You rock!!! I'm so lucky to be in Entangled's tribe with you!!!

Lisa :)