Monday, July 11, 2011

Welcome Guest Author Shiela Stewart!

I'm so pleased to welcome fellow 
Decadent Publishing author 
Shiela Stewart!

Welcome, Shiela!  Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

Hello everyone! Thank you Laura for having me here today.

I’m mainly a paranormal romance author but I do dabble occasionally in contemporary romance. I’ve been published since 2006 with 17 books under my belt including three sets of series. Some have gone to print but currently my books are available as ebook only. My longest series to date is my Darkness series, which consists of 8 books in total.  I don’t use a pen name. I decided to use my real name with my first book simply because I wanted to see my real name attached to my published work.

Aside from writing I’ve been married for 25 years with three mostly grown children ages 23,19 and 16. I love creating in other ways such as painting, drawing, gardening, and crocheting.

How prolific you are! What an inspiration! Okay, tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

My latest release is AWAKEN THE DEMON and is the first book in the series. It was written eight years ago after having a nightmare about demons and a woman who discovers she too is a demon. The nightmare was so strong that when I sat down to write it, I couldn’t put it down. This was my first step into the paranormal and I was hooked from then on.

Wow, cool story about the inspiration behind that book! Which character is your favorite and why?

That’s a tough one because I have so many. I can give you a few of my favorites.

Cassie Evans from DISCOVERY IN PASSION is one. She’s a buxom blonde who is anything but stupid. She’s a strong independent woman that knows what she wants and doesn’t stop until she gets it.

Victor Davis from ESCAPE IN PASSION is another. He’s a ladies’ man who knows every come-on line ever written and knows just the right thing to say to the women. He’s an FBI agent with a past that leaves him vulnerable. It’s his slick ways and determination to protect that draws me to him.

Trinity Ford from SEDUCING THE DARKNESS is a vampire who despite being shunned by her kind, protect the humans from being vampire feeding victims. She’s strong but has a vulnerable side for her true love even after he cheats on her. She becomes the races queen and fights to protect the city she lives in from being over-run by vampires.

And lastly. Draco from AWAKEN THE DEMON. He is a demon who was born and raised in the pits of hell. After years of being a Soul Catcher for Satan, he decides he wants a normal life. He’s a very strong demanding man who isn’t opposed to using his demonic powers for his benefit.  He’s happy living his life until Missy Green enters it. He’s such a fearsome creature but inside he is a softy. It takes a woman to bring it out. I love a man that can be tamed by a good woman. LOL

That’s a lot of great characters! Folks, you have to check out all these titles! And, man, do I also love when a woman can tame a powerful creature! As the author, what surprised you about this story?

How persistent it was to be written. It was almost like I was possessed by the story. There was never a moment while writing that I had to stop and figure out where it should go. It practically wrote itself.

Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

I’m a series gal. LOL I can’t help myself. I sit down to write a book and before it’s even half done I have the sequel in mind. There are three books in total in the Demon series. Book 2 is OFFER THE DEMON and takes place twenty-three years after book one with the child of Missy and Draco being enlisted to collect souls for Satan. Aurora Starr hates her job and decides to protest by working at a shelter for substance abuse where she meets and falls in love with Scott Monroe. But Satan doesn’t let go easily as Aurora is soon to find out.

Book three is CONQUER THE DEMON. It takes places twenty-eight years after OFFER THE DEMON and is the story of Aurora and Scott Monroe’s son Mick. He’s a rock star who has been guided by Satan since he was a youth on becoming a world famous rocker. He’s had a life of getting what he wants, having any woman he desires until he meets Officer Lacy Harris. She gives him a run for his money but before he falls head over heels in love with her, he finds himself becoming attached to her eight-year-old son. Wanting a better life for his soon to be new family, Mick rebels against Satan with the help of his family. Unfortunately it has dire consequences.

That sounds like a great series! What are you working on right now?

Right now I am editing A TASTE FOR HUMANITY for Decadent Publishing’s 1NightStand series. It’s a short story about a couple, Penny Parker and Cade O’Donnell, who are matched up by Madame Evangeline. It’s a night of wild fun and incredible sex. But there is always a catch which Penny is soon to learn.

Decadent’s 1NS series is great! What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

It’s still sitting in a binder in my closet. It was written when I was sixteen about a young girl caught up in black magic. It has a decent premise but I doubt I’ll ever rewrite it. Just too flawed. LOL

What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

The easiest part is creating the characters and making them blossom. The hardest part would be doing the research and keeping it authentic.

Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

LOL, oh definitely. Any of the haunting stories I took from real life experience of living in a haunted house in my youth. I also use a lot of the humor in my characters that my husband and I share with each other.

Is there a theme or message that runs through your work?

Strong women. Growing up I was always told I would amount to nothing, that I was made to be a wife and mother. I always wanted more but was too timid to reach out for. That’s why I write strong women who know what they want and aren’t afraid to get it.

That’s a great message! What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

I’m actually a very shy person and insecure of myself. I’m also claustrophobic in large crowds.

Really interesting answers, Shiela. Okay, now, just for fun:
Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Milk by far.

Salty or sweet? Salty

Bed or kitchen table? Oooh…definitely the kitchen table but since the kids came around our table has been neglected. J

Beach or mountains? Mountains. I am such a sucker for a mountain scene.

Give or receive? Give. To see other people’s faces light up is a gift to me alone.
Running from an abusive fiancé, changing her name, Missy Green is looking for a new life. Taking temporary refuge in a group called The StarrGazers, she does her best to blend in. Problem is, the owner, Draco Starr has put his sights on her.

Born and raised in the pits of hell, Draco was sent to earth to collect souls for Satan. Having served his time he starts his own business. When word gets out that a child born from demon and human is alive, he is determined to find her and make her his own.

Discovering who Draco really is terrifies Missy, but it’s nothing compared to finding out she too is a demon. Coming to terms with who she is, dealing with her attraction to Draco, Missy begins to embrace her new life. Until her fiancĂ© enters the picture and changes her life forever.
Thanks for being on the blog! Where can we find you on the web?
Okay, everyone, leave Shiela some comment love! Not sure what to say? Tell her which you prefer, demons or vampires! And why...

Thanks for reading,
Laura & Shiela

6 comments:

Stephanie Williams said...

Hey Shelia!

Your Demon series sounds fantastic, can't wait to read it.

I admire people that can write a series, and you have an eight book one! I get hooked too. LOL!

Great covers too. I'm just staring to get into the paranormal genre.

Jessica Subject said...

Hello Sheila!

I can understand the series thing. Sometimes it's hard to let characters go.

I could tell you stories about our kitchen table LOL, but I'm afraid ours has been neglected as well since the kids were born. :)

Laura Kaye said...

So great to have you on the blog today, Shiela! And thanks to Stephanie and Jessica for stopping by and commenting! :)

Shiela Stewart said...

Hi Stephanie!

I was a bit shocked at how many books came out of my Darkness series as well. The ideas just kept coming and coming and before I knew it, I had eight books. LOL Each book takes place right after the other and i'e been told it would make a great movie. I only wish. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Shiela Stewart said...

Hi Jessica!

Oh definitely. It really is hard to let some characters go, or even some story lines.

Sounds like I'm not the only one who had fun on the kitchen table. Damn kids for ruining it all. LOL

Shiela Stewart said...

Thanks so much for having me today, laura!!