Thursday, July 7, 2011

Welcome Guest Author Marsha A. Moore!

I'm so glad to have 
fantasy romance author
Marsha A. Moore
here today!

Welcome, Marsha!  Please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

I write fantasy romance. The magic of art and nature spark life into my writing. My creativity also spills into watercolor painting and drawing. After a move from Toledo to Tampa in 2008, I’m happily transforming into a Floridian, in love with the outdoors. Crazy about cycling, I usually pass the 1,000 mile mark yearly. I recently purchased a used kayak—my favorite new toy! We live on a large saltwater lagoon and taking it out for an hour or more is a real treat. I’ve been a yoga enthusiast for over a decade and that spiritual quest helps me explore the mystical side of fantasy. I always exercise as part of my daily routine. It clears my mind, so my writing time is considerably more focused and effective. Also, it takes me on journeys inside my mind or outside in nature that bring me an endless supply of new writing ideas. I never have enough days spent at the beach, usually scribbling away at stories with toes wiggling in the sand. Every day at the beach is magical!

Wow—that’s an inspiring approach to life, Marsha! Truly!. Okay, tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

My newest release, Sea Glass and Sand Memories, is a paranormal romance involving a love triangle among a witch, a male ghost, and an innocent mortal female traveler. The setting is in one of my favorite vacation spots, a resort at the dunes of Lake Michigan. The vacationer gets caught up in all sorts of adventures, some frightening, others romantic.

Ooh, very interesting! Which character is your favorite and why?

Although, I typically identify with my heroines, I especially enjoyed writing for the character of the hero’s elderly mother. I have a soft spot for old ladies since my own mother is 85, and I spend time with her several days each week.

That’s great. As the author, what surprised you about this story?

The title of Sea Glass and Sand Memories surprised me, it came so fast. Usually, I deliberate over titles. This one hit in a flash. When my father was still living, we spent many hours searching for and collecting sea glass. I still have our jar full of weathered “gems” sitting on my writing desk. The title has a double meaning and came to me when I had only a shred of the plot in mind, no characters. To me, the title is all about the memories of those family vacations, the wonderful times I had with my father who I miss a lot. The meaning in the story is something quite different, which I can’t explain or I’d spoil the ending.

I love collecting sea glass, so the title draws me in based just on that! Can’t WAIT to see the meaning in the story! What was the hardest thing for you about writing this story?

My antagonist, Zandra, is a very devious witch. She was a bit tricky to write because she is inherently mean, not that way as a consequence of a bad previous experience.

Interesting! What are you working on right now?

Presently I’m very excited about a series I’m writing, the Enchanted Bookstore Legends. It is fantasy romance, but also very mysterious with plenty of clues and red herrings planted throughout the books. The first book of the series, Seeking a Scribe, is in edits now and will release this fall. Here’s the blurb to give you a taste:
Lyra McCauley is a writer and loves books, but until she opens a novel from Cullen Drake, she has no idea he’s a wizard character who lives inside that volume…or the story’s magic will compel her from the edge of depression to adventure, danger, and love.

Leading a double life as a bookstore owner, Cullen’s sorcery startles and attracts her. He reads her emotions, enchanting the ever-changing taste of his tea to elicit her happy memories. His gift to Lyra, the Book of Draganspeir, was actually her copy, misplaced years ago. Lost in her pain of divorce and death, she fails to recognize him as her childhood playmate.  Friendship builds anew. Attraction sparks. But Lyra doubts whether a wizard is capable of love. She’s torn—should she protect her fragile heart or risk new love?

Opening the book’s cover, she confronts a quest: save Draganspeir from destruction by the Black Dragan before he utilizes magic of the August Red Moon to expand his power and overthrow the opposing Imperial Dragan. Lyra accepts the challenge, fearing Cullen will perish if evil wins.
What a cool concept! That’s one to look out for, everybody! What happened to the first book you ever wrote?

It’s still sitting in my computer files, about two-thirds finished. It has an interesting epic fantasy plot and lovable characters. The characters still talk to me, so maybe I’ll revise it for publication.

I imagine a lot of writers have a book like that somewhere in their files! What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

I find setting and world building the easiest. It’s entertaining and relaxing for me to let my imagination soar. The hardest is to conform to familiar human rules of relationships and interactions between my fantasy characters. I need to maintain a lifeline for my readers to reality, more than I personally need. It’s more of a constraint than a difficulty.

Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

Certainly, bits of personalities of people I know often become included in the dimensions of characters. It would be hard to write any other way.

I agree. Is there a theme or message that runs through your work?

I usually have a women’s lit type theme of self-growth, happiness is found within. My heroines often struggle and search for happiness; they must go through a lot to find it within themselves.

Great theme. What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

I’m a Tibetan Buddhist, having formally studied and taken refuge. Those teaching do influence my writing, as you can see by the theme that runs through my works.

That IS interesting! Which romance book or series (or other genre, if you don’t write romance) do you wish you had written?

Easy answer—the Harry Potter series. I admire J.K. Rowling’s ability to interweave plot with clues and misclues across a series. I’m not so fond of her mechanics, but that is minor compared to her amazing development of plot and characterization.

Great pick! Of all the characters you’ve ever written, who is your favorite and why?

My favorite would be the heroine of my new series, Lyra. She’s a woman who struggled with problems of divorce and caring for aging parents/close relations—too much loss. After being beaten with hardships, she’s determined to have a happier life. Along the way, she realizes she has inherited magical abilities and soon finds new paths toward her goal within a fantasy world. I admire her resolve and bravery as she fights to realize a better life.

Okay, now, these are just for fun:
Milk chocolate or dark chocolate? Dark. I really miss the dark chocolate covered pretzels made by Dietsch Bros. candies, a family business where I used to live in Findlay, Ohio.

Salty or sweet? Salty

Bed or kitchen table? Patio table outside in our lanai [well, now!]

Beach or mountains? Definitely beach. I live only 20 miles from the Gulf and a quarter mile from Tampa Bay. If I don’t get to the beach every other week, year-round, I’m in withdrawal.

Give or receive? Give. I probably need to do better receiving, since I tend to give too much and put myself last more than I should.

Sea Glass and Sand Memories
Looking forward to a relaxing week at a Lake Michigan coastal resort, Kate finds much more than the picturesque dunes she intended to paint. Adventures start when her requested room is switched beside an unusual couple – a witch and her lover, a ghost.

During her stay, the handsome ghost, Anson, tries to ensnare her into helping him escape the witch who killed him and then enslaved his spirit. That witch holds him captive on the property of his mother’s resort. Anson wins Kate’s heart and loyalty, but is that enough to set him free?

Warning: This story contains paranormal sex, pagan abuse of a ghost spirit, nightmares, and happy family memories.

Thanks for coming on the blog, Marsha! Where can we find you on the web?
 Thanks for reading, everyone! Now leave Marsha some comment love! :)
Laura & Marsha


Marsha A. Moore said...

Thanks for inviting me to be your guest today, Laura! Great questions!

Louisa Bacio said...

Great answers Marsha! It's it usually true that our most-recent characters are our favorites?

Marsha A. Moore said...

Thanks for stopping by, Louisa! I have some old characters I'm fond of, but the new ones seem more three-dimensional, maybe because my skills as a writer improve and I can paint them with more depth.

Laura Kaye said...

I think that definitely plays a role, Marsha! Thanks for being my guest!

Laura Kaye said...

I think that definitely plays a role, Marsha! Thanks for being my guest!