Sunday, July 10, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday #19!

It's so good to be back! I've missed the past few Six Sundays, first with father's day traveling and then because of the pre- and post-RWA Nationals frenzy! Today, I thought I'd celebrate my most recent sale to Harlequin Nocturne by sharing the first six sentences of my forthcoming novella, In the Service of the King, a dark erotic paranormal romance (vampires!) set in Northern Ireland to be released some time around Christmas.
          Kael paced the length of his private sleeping chamber, avoiding the plush emerald carpet and keeping to the uncovered stone floor at the edge of the room.  After an hour of ceaseless movement, the cold of the large polished slabs bit into the flesh of his bare feet and gave him something to focus on besides the Proffering, which he loathed but required.  Three months had passed since his last feeding, and the Warrior King needed the blood of either his mate or a human virgin to maintain his immortality and the strength of his humanity.  He had no mate, and no intention of acquiring one, but Kael the Fair never felt less like his name than when he stepped into his feeding chamber and found the Proffered waiting within.
            Two knocks preceded Liam’s deep voice at the door.  “My Lord, it is time.”
Tricia "pickyme" Schmitt's artwork provides an incredibly good visual representation of my idea of Kael. She's the incredible artist who did my cover for Hearts in Darkness, so, as you can imagine, I'm a huge fan!

Be sure to check out the other Sixers' posts and follow the #sixsunday hashtag on twitter.

Also, I've got a giveaway going right here on my blog that ends today (7/10) - part of the Skyrockets in Flight Blog Hop Delight event. All it takes is commenting on the post linked here and following me on twitter to enter for one of three prizes!

As always, thanks for reading and (hopefully!) commenting, too!

Laura

36 comments:

romancingalix said...

Fantastic opening to your novella, and welcome back.

Xakara said...

And my TBB list grows. Can't wait for this to come out! :)

~Xakara
Dawn's Early Light 6SS

Sarah Grimm said...

Love this opening, Laura. Congratulations on the sale!

kerriannecoombes said...

This is so, so good! Brilliant SSS!

Jessica Subject said...

Great intro! His lack of need to a mate is sure to be challenged. :)

Stacey Kennedy said...

Whoa! So vivid! Nice six!!

lexcade said...

Fascinating! I'm hooked by the reluctant vampire. I'll keep my eyes open for this one around Christmas :)

Sandra Sookoo said...

Nice opening! You set the mood perfectly!

Debra Moore said...

This is the opening? What a great hook! And the writing is just lovely!

Gem Sivad said...

Laura, congrats on the HQ sale! Love this six and can't wait to read the full novella.

JoAnne Kenrick said...

Firstly.... character art by PickyMe?! WOW!!! *author envy going on here!* She's totally rocking, and that image is as sexy as hell! LOVE IT!
Secondly, welcome back! I've missed your snippets on Sundays xxx
Thirdly, YEAY! Fab snippet..adore your voice. "After an hour of ceaseless movement, the cold of the large polished slabs bit into the flesh of his bare feet and gave him something to focus on besides the Proffering, which he loathed but required." is my favorite part of this snippet!

Jennifer L Hart said...

Oh Laura this is TASTY! Excellent six! Good to be back, isn't it?

Pippa Jay said...

Oooh, I love this! I'm not a huge vampire fan, but I think I'd buy this. :)

Joanne Stewart said...

love this snippet and the artwork goes fantastic with it, helps with the visual. Great six.

Cate Masters said...

Congrats on the sale! Sounds like a fantastic read, if this snippet's any indication. :)

Jessica K said...

Vampires with remorse, is there anything more conflicted? Greta introduction to the novella.

Sam Crescent said...

Wow, excellent writing, I loved it.

Monica Enderle Pierce said...

That's a terrific set-up for what's to come. Tension already! (And congrats on the new book.)

Lisa Fox said...

Wow, now that's the way to start! What a great opening!

Lynne Murray said...

Congratulations on the novella sale! Great atmospheric six. I admire how you tell us so much about Kael and his world without losing a drop of tension!

Stephanie/PurdueLiz said...

Congrats again on the sale! And GAH, woman, I am DYING to get my hands on this. How long do we have to wait??

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Whoah! Dying to know what's for dinner... ;)

best
F

Cassandra Carr said...

I'm guessing a virgin is for dinner? Are virgins delicious? That's what I want to know! Nice six!

vernac said...

Whoa...that's scary and sexy at the same time. Well written.

naelany said...

definitely wanna hear more about him

Sandy Ruth said...

Interesting twist on vampire lore. Congratulations on the sale to Harlequin.

Ranae Rose said...

Oh, this sounds like a cool book! Love a good vampire story, and can't resist a Celtic hero. ;) Nice artwork, too.

Jenna said...

I'm not usually drawn to paranormals, but I will buy this when it comes out. Great beginning six!

Lindsay said...

Congrats on the relases.
Can't wait to see what's going to happen next

Lucy Felthouse said...

Delicious. This will definitely be going on my TBR list!

Kathleen Grieve said...

I, too, will need to pick this one up! Sounds sooooo good! Yeah!

Liia Ann White said...

Intriguing!
Congrats on the sale too!

gayleramage said...

Interesting snippet! Can't wait to see where this leads.

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for all the great comments everyone, your enthusiasm warms me! :)

Hailey Edwards said...

I really enjoyed the excerpt--the phrasing, the cadence of his thoughts--all of it.

And Tricia does beautiful work.:)

1000th.monkey said...

I love the contradiction of having to suck blood to maintain his humanity...