Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rosalie Lario on That Magical First Meet!

I'm so excited to welcome a guest to the blog today! Welcome Rosalie Lario!
~~~~~~~~
That Magical First Meet

Thanks to Laura for letting me take over her site today. I promise I’ll behave (*cue maniacal laughter*).

So I’m here to talk about that oh so magical “first meet”. You know, that moment in a romance novel when the hero and heroine first come face-to-face. I have to admit, this is one of my favorite parts of a romance novel. Whether it’s automatic out-of-control desire (pretty much any romance written by Karen Marie Moning) or simply recognition that someone they don’t think they like is hot (Jeaniene Frost’s Halfway to the Grave), for a first meet to rock my socks off, I need to get some hint of the attraction between the characters. This will set the scene for the sexual tension building as the story continues.

I kept all this in mind when writing my recent release, For Love of an Angel. It’s set in an alternate reality where angels have taken over Earth after the wall between our world and theirs collapsed. Here’s their first meet:
An angel. A freaking angel had flown in through her open window. What the hell?
The angel grinned as if he’d guessed her train of thought. He nodded toward the window. "You never know what you’ll attract."
Holy crap! It was a good thing she was rooted in place, because she didn’t know if her legs would support her right now. What was going on here? Why would an angel pick her apartment, of all places, to fly in to?
"If I release your vocal chords, do you promise not to scream?"
Scream? Right now she thought she might faint. She made a strangled sound that came out as a cross between a croak and a squeak.
"I’ll take that a yes," he said in a dry voice. One flick of his hand and her vocal chords loosened.
Eva took a deep breath, keeping her gaze focused on the angel. A million questions crossed her mind. What was he doing here? Why had he chosen her apartment to invade? How did he manage to hide his wings so completely that it would be impossible to tell he was an angel just by looking at him? What came out of her mouth instead was, "Where’s your shirt?"
The angel laughed, a low, rolling sound that practically electrified her nerve endings. "Tends to get in the way of the wings. Besides, I don’t feel the cold the same way that you do." He stepped forward so his face was out of the shadows.
Eva involuntarily sucked in her breath. With dark hair and perfectly arched brows, a long, straight nose framed by an inhumanly symmetrical face, and bright topaz eyes that seemed to blaze right through her, he was easily the most perfect being she’d ever laid eyes on. Suddenly, she could begin to understand why humans worshipped angels as gods. Why so many of them would give anything just for a glimpse of one.
[Laura's editorial note: OMG that was awesome!!!!!!!! Go buy this, people!!!]
 
Blurb:

In a world where angels rule over humans, twelve outcasts dare to defy expectation, warring with their angel brethren to prevent the extinction of humankind.

They are The Fallen...

Michael is one of twelve angels who have been outcast due to their determination to protect humankind. In order to preserve his immortality and strength, he must find a mate with angel blood. Eva Smyth has never believed the propaganda spouted by the Consortium—the elite system of guards put into place once angels took over reign of Earth—but she never expected to learn the angels' plan to eradicate all of humankind, or that she herself is part angel. Joining Michael means living a life on the run, at war against the angels and hunted by the Consortium. Eva must decide whether to risk it all...for love of an angel.

You can read the first chapter of For Love of an Angel here:


Please Visit me at:


Buy Links:




I’d love to know what your favorite first meet ever is! It can be from a book, television show or movie. Come on, spill. :-)

Thanks for reading,
Rosalie & Laura

18 comments:

rosalielario.com said...

Thanks so much for letting me hijack your site today. :-)

Laura Kaye said...

You're welcome, Rosalie! Great to have you here! I LOVE that excerpt!

Sarah said...

Such a fabulous excerpt!! I'm looking forward to this one!!

SarahG

Julia Barrett said...

Great excerpt - love this book! I have so many favorite first meets that I couldn't possibly pick one!

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sarah and Julia! I know, it is hard to pick a favorite first meet.

One would be, in the second Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark Hunter book (blanking on title!), when the hero and heroine wake up shackled to each other.

Aubrie said...

What an awesome excerpt. The first time characters meet is always my fav.

Cathy Yardley said...

Love this excerpt! And first meets are the best. Love this topic!

I have a soft spot for the first time Eve meets Roarke in the J.D. Robb series. :)

Jus Accardo said...

Killer first meet, Rosalie! Looking forward to reading this.

I have SO many first meet faves. One of the books you mentioned, Halfway to the Grave, when Cat and Bones first meet, is definitely one of my top ten :P

Julianne said...

Laura, I believe you mean Night Pleasures? And yeah, that is a good one. My favorite first meet. Herm...you had to ask this question, didn't you, Rosalie? :) I guess...hm... When Ellie and Rain meet in C.L. Wilson's Lord of the Fading Lands.

Laura Kaye said...

@Julianne! Yes! That's right! :)

You guys are building up my TBR pile! Keep those favorite first meets coming!!! & thanks for stopping by!

Lisa Kessler said...

Great excerpt! I just put the sample in my Kindle! :)

Congratulations on the release Rosalie!!!

One of my favorite first meets is in Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong. They have sparks even though she ends up sending him away... Yum! :)

Lame to choose your own first meet, but my upcoming novel Night Walker has the hero meeting the reincarnation of his one love after 300 years and it gets me everytime... LOL

Lisa

rosalielario.com said...

Wow, this blog is hopping!

Sarah, Julia, Aubrie, Cathy - Thank you!

Jus - I love, love, love Cat and Bones! My favorite fictional couple, maybe ever!

Julianne - Haven't read Wilson yet. I know, I know...I suck.

Lisa - Thank you! Kelley Armstrong is on my TBR list. It's like a mile-high, though. :-( And no, I don't think it's lame to choose your own first meet. :-)

Laura Kaye said...

@Lisa and Rosalie--me neither! If you don't love your own characters, no one else will!

Nicola Marsh said...

Rosalie, love the excerpt!
And that cover...oh my...HOT!
The book sounds great.

First meets are a favourite part of writing for me, coming up with new and exciting ways for the H/h to get together.
Love watching sparks fly!

Laura Kaye said...

The cover really is hot! Thanks for commenting, Nicola!

Laura Kaye said...

I want to thank Rosalie for being here today and sharing this great story with us! I wish you many sales! :)

Isis Rushdan said...

Wonderful excerpt Rosalie!

I love all of Sara Pezzini's first meets in Witchblade.

Happy Sales.

Isis

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks for dropping in, Isis!