Monday, May 23, 2011

Can Villains Also Be Heroes? by Karen Michelle Nutt!

I’m very excited to have author Karen Michelle Nutt here with us today! Welcome, Karen!

Can villains also be heroes? When creating the My Fallen Angels series, the bad boy kept telling me he didn’t want the role of villain. What could I do, I had to find a way to make him a hero.


Can Villains Also Be Heroes?
By Karen Michelle Nutt

What if the guy wasn’t decent or gallant or all that good, could he be the hero? Could I make a villain likable? Could I turn the villain into a hero?

I liked my villain Lucca in Eli: Warriors for the Light, but could I make others like him as well? Now that he’s been punished for his bad deeds. It’s time for him to tell his side of the story.

To do so, you must understand why he’s acted as he did. No one sets out to be evil. My villain was evil because of the path he chose. The guidelines he lived by were wrong. His weakness was his short-sightedness and being completely inflexible to change. 

Lucca was simply a good guy gone wrong. His position was right and he has a list of reasons to prove it. Tradition and culture were the right things to do and anything else was wrong. The problem was the rules he followed were outdated. His goal was simply at odds with the Hero’s goals. This was how Eli and Lucca become rivals. Black became white and the shades of gray faded away. 

In Lucca: The Warriors for the Light, it’s Lucca’s chance to tell his story. I’ll leave it up to you to decide if he’s hero material or not.

For a chance to win an e-book copy of Lucca’s tale, let me know what you think of a villain becoming a hero. Do you believe it’s possible?

Lucca: Warriors for the Light (Fallen Angels series, Book 2)

Lucca Marlowe has a dark past that threatens to destroy him. He’s banished for crimes against one of his fellow brethren. The elders bind his glamour and wings, casting him to the human realm. He’ll either learn to respect and embrace his human side or live out eternity trying. 

Lucca does not live a mundane life. Angels and demons demand he do their bidding. His estrange father resurfaces after centuries of being absent and he’s brought a friend from Hell.

To make his life more complicated, he fears he found his soul mate in a human female. Only Juliet Romeo has a secret that will bring the wrath of Heaven down upon both their heads.

It’s a race against time to find out who will end up with his soul.

If you’re interested in finding out more about my otherworldly tales, please visit my website at: http://www.kmnbooks.com

For interviews, contests and all things book related, please come by my blog on Mondays for new updates. http://kmnbooks.blogspot.com

I also frequent Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads.

Thank you, Laura for having me here today and sharing.

You're very welcome, Karen! The book sounds great--one for the TBR pile for sure!


Bio:
Karen Michelle Nutt is the author of paranormal tales, writing for Tease Publishing LLC, The Wild Rose Press, Highland Press, Victory Tales Press and RJV Publishing.

Time Travels have been her passion. She's always been intrigued with the possibility of being able to reach back in time and change the past. Common sense says influencing the past isn’t impossible, but she can’t help but wonder: What if she can?

Fallen Angels, vampires and shape shifters embrace her darker side where their worlds intertwine with ours.

She shares her life with a wonderful man, three lovely children and house full of pets. In her spare time, she reviews for Paranormal Reviews, a great place to find paranormal books and other genres. Her new passion is the wonders of Photoshop. Her header for her website and blog were her first projects. She's since created book covers for Victory Tales Press and Western Trail Blazers.
Thanks for reading, everyone--feel free to leave Karen comments and questions!
Laura & Karen

17 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Laura,

Thank you so much for having me here today and letting me share. :)

Deanna Jewel said...

Hi Karen & Laura, Love blog author interviews where I meet other amazing authors! Your books sound great and I'm also an author of a time travel.

Can a villain become a hero? Yes, it's possible and half the fun would be reading how that can happen. Good luck with your book!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Deanna,

Thanks so much for coming by and saying hi. I have to say, it was fun writing Lucca's tale.

So you write time travels. I love time travel romances. I'll have to check out your books. :)

Thanks for the good wishes, too.

Laura Kaye said...

So glad to have you here today, Karen! Love that cover...oh my!

Deanna--glad you found a new-to-you author that sounds intriguing! That's what I love about this process too!

:)

Donica Covey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jingersnaps said...

I totally agree that some "sins" can be removed and the villian redeeemed. In my novel Demon's Fall my hero is a demon sent to kill an angel--the heroine.

This is not to say that all villians can be redeemed. Red John from The Mentalist, Adolph Hitler & Jefferey Dahmer are examples of irredeemable villians.

Donica Covey said...

I love redeeming villians and turning them into heroes! I so rooted for COle and Phoebe in Charmed. It depressed the tar out of me when Cole failed to be redeemed.

I look forward to hearing more about your novels. Wishing you all the best!
Donica Covey

Joya Fields said...

Hi Laura and Karen.
Great post. I love good guys gone bad...or bad guys gone good. LOL. Great line about who will own his soul. Best wishes for continued success to both of you!
:)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Jingersnap,

Goodness--I totally agree. Some villains can never come back from the dark side.

But there are those who have the potential to join the light again. They just need to change their path a little.

Thanks so much for coming by. I'll have to check out your tale about demons and angels. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Laura,

I'm so glad you like Lucca's cover. It's actually one of my own. The publisher let me use it for Lucca's tale. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Donica,

Cole and Phoebe in Charmed- I was rooting for them, too. Darn Cole for tipping back to the other side again.

Thanks so much for the good wishes and for stopping by.

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Joya,

Thank you for coming by for a visit.

So you liked that line: "It’s a race against time to find out who will end up with his soul."

There's so many who would like to claim it. lol

Laura Kaye said...

Great conversation, everyone! Thanks for stopping by to support Karen!

@Karen--J.R. Ward's Zsadist is one of the best examples of this for me! Even his Brothers think he's irredeemable up until he's, well, redeemed! :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Oh you're a JR Ward fan, too. I love her books and you're right Zsadist seems like a lost cause, a ruined soul unable to be redeemed, but JR did it. Zsadist's story is one of my favorites of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. :)

Cathy said...

Hi Laura,
Lovely site.

Karen,

I've just finished reading Lucca's story and have to say you did a great job in making me fall in love with Lucca. I had my doubts since he was a real piece of work in Eli. lol

I wish you the best with the series!

Laura Kaye said...

Cathy--thanks! And what a wonderful compliment to Karen!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Cathy,

How nice of you to stop by and tell me how much you enjoyed Lucca's tale! I'm glad he redeemed himself in your eyes. :)