Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Kaye #5: Welcome Robin Kaye!

The 30 Days of Kay(e)s Blogfest continues on and I'm very excited to host fellow Maryland Romance Writer and contemporary romance author:

Robin Kaye!

Welcome, Robin!  So, to start, please tell us how and why you came to use the name Kaye!

Kaye is my pen name. My maiden name is Robin Williams and unfortunately my publisher wasn’t happy with me using it. You’d think with all the hell I went through growing up with the nickname Mork, I’d be able to benefit a little bit at least.  My last name is a scary, Russian-Pole, ten-letter name that looks even worse than it sounds. I’m famous for doing sign language to teach people how to pronounce it. I’m not sure they’d be able to fit it on a book cover. All my kids friends call me Mrs. K so I just went with that (I added a few more letters though.)

That is a great pen name story!  Okay, please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

I write funny contemporary romances under the pen name Robin Kaye. I have four books in my Domestic Gods series, and the first book of my Domestic Gods Gone Wild series, On the Wild Side, is coming out December 6, 2011.

What fun series! And such delicious covers!  So, tell us a little about your latest release.

Comment for a chance to win!!!
Yours for the Taking is a marriage of convenience book with a modern-day, urban twist. Ben Walsh has looks, money and charm but if he wants to keep the one property of sentimental value to him, he needs a wife.

Gina Reyez, a crack shot turn-around expert, doesn’t need or want a husband but accepts Ben’s “strictly business “ proposal because the money will solve problems she intends to keep entirely un-marital. By the time the two find that marriage with benefits can never be “strictly business,” their lives are entwined and seriously complicated.

Sounds like one for the TBR pile, folks!  Plus, Robin is willing to give away one copy of Yours for the Taking to a lucky blog commenter!  Woot!  Robin, what are you working on right now?

I’m working on the second book in my new series, Domestic Gods Gone Wild. Wild Thing is Fisher Kincaid’s book and so far, I’m having a screamin’ good time! Of course, it’s still early in the process. I think Fisher’s just waiting to show me his ornery side. He’s so not gonna be happy when my heroine takes all his clothes and his wallet out of his hotel room while he’s in the shower and he has to call home and ask his brothers for a little help. Oh yeah, he’ll never live that one down.

OMG that’s hilarious! We’re all drooling for his ornery side, too! What about the first book you ever wrote—what happened to that?

The first book I wrote toward publication was Romeo, Romeo and it’s for sale. Before that, I wrote a modern-day retelling of Pride and Prejudice with a twist of persuasion called Come Hell or High Water. I posted it chapter by chapter on a few Jane Austen Fan Fiction sites. It had a huge following, was about 330,000 words, and contained three complete love stories. It was about a year of work and I had a great time writing it. If I ever find the time, I’d love to rewrite it toward publication. It was a really fun story and I still love the characters.

I think it’s cool to hear about other authors having dabbled in fan fiction…I’ve done a little of that myself. What do you find easiest and hardest to write?

Easiest—dialogue. It just flows.

Hardest—synopses. They’re the bane of my existence.

OMG—synopses suck!  That’s trufax, there, sistah!  Have you incorporated actual events or people from your own life into your books?

Not really…okay, well maybe once. I got the idea for Rosalie to not have a spare from my mother. Her brother routinely used to take parts off her first car and sell them—the spare, the air filter (he replaced it with a pair of her stockings)—well, you get the picture. In this case, Rosalie had given Rich money to buy her a new spare and he forgot to replace it.  She didn’t realize it until she was stuck on the expressway with a flat.

Oh, I forgot. I use my animals in my books—Dave, Rosalie’s dog in Romeo, Romeo and Too Hot to Handle is the male version of my dog Clancy who I always thought looked so much more like a boy than a girl. She was half Black Lab and half St. Bernard, Tripod in Breakfast in Bed is my cat Raja—a three-legged Bengal, only Raja doesn’t drink coffee…much. Jasmine in Yours for the Taking is the sweet little pointer mix I have now.  We rescued her one 4th of July right after the fireworks. She was running down the highway during a terrible thunderstorm—I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more frightened animal. It was horrible. She’s a sweetheart but is still afraid of her own shadow.

Is there a theme or message that runs through your work?

Belonging and family, it seems my heroes and heroines are always searching for it.

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

I’m married to a real Domestic God so I can attest to the fact that they do exist—oh, and my 17 year-old son is a Domestic God in Training. 

Ooh, your house sounds like fun!  Which romance book or series do you wish you had written?

The Chicago Stars Series by Susan Elizabeth Phillips or The Chesapeake Bay Series by Nora Roberts. But then I pretty much loved all her Irish series too…ooh and the Three Sisters Island Series. What can I say? I’ve loved every book I’ve read by SEP and Nora. I can’t think of one of their books I wouldn’t have wanted to write.

Of all the characters you’ve written, who is your favorite and why?

Oh, that’s like asking which of my children is my favorite—it depends which one of them is in the room. LOL Wow, let me see. I have a real soft spot for Aunt Rose—she’s so much fun to write, Grampa Joe is awesome too, and Cousin Vinny. Why? Because they are all people I wish I had in my life. People who love you enough to give you a smack upside the head when they know you’re doing something stupid, are there for you when you need them, and never resist the urge to tell you “I told you so.”

Okay, Robin, down to basics:

Milk chocolate or dark chocolate?  Dark.
Salty or sweet?  Salty
Bed or kitchen table?  What? I can’t have both?
Beach or mountains?  Mountains.
Give or receive?  Depends on what kind of favors we’re talkin’ about.

Wow, Robin, this has been so much fun! Where can we find you on the web?


Thanks so much for having me, Laura. It’s been great fun!

You’re welcome!  Okay, folks, don’t forget—Robin’s giving away one copy of Yours for the Taking to one lucky commenter (U.S. or Canada)! Please leave your email address with your comment so I can contact you tomorrow!  And please stop back tomorrow for some RELEASE DAY FUN for my debut contemporary romance, HEARTS IN DARKNESS!

Thanks for reading!
Laura & Robin

37 comments:

Autumn Jordon said...

Hey, Robin. Always a fun to learn more about you. The new series sounds like a whoot. I'll be checking them out, but you knew that.

Great interview, ladies.

Diana Quincy said...

"Wild Thing" sounds like a lot of fun! "Yours for the Taking" is already on my bedside table and I look forward to reading it.

msullivan said...

Hi Robin, your new series sounds wonderful!

Oh, I am so with you regarding SEP, but you also pegged my absolute favorite Nora Roberts' series--Chesapeake Bay. Ethan was too delicious for words.

Do you ever wish some fictional heroes were real men? Ethan is one of those for me!

Amanda Brice said...

What a fun interview!

Vanessa said...

Great interview, love the news ideas for the next book, sounds super fun!

Judi Fennell said...

dying for Fisher's book!!!

Teresa said...

Robin, I can't wait to see what Gina does in Yours For the Taking. Your characters all pop off the page. Love them.

Keena Kincaid said...

Hey, Robin. Great interview. I felt like you were sitting across the table drinking coffee with me. Your's for the Taking sounds fun. My TBR pile just got bigger.

chapmansmythe said...

Great interview Robin. Your characters sound as interesting as you!!! My poor tbr pile just keeps growing..
ronna

Laura Kaye said...

Welcome, Robin! Isn't she a great guest, folks?

So glad to have all of you here today! Thanks for the comments, and keep 'em coming!

Robin Kaye said...

@ Autumn - Thanks for stopping by! On the Wild Side comes out December 6th. I can't wait for you to get a load of Hunter. He's one of my all-time favorite heroes.

@ Diana - Wild Thing is turning out to be a real good time. I love digging my way through a book. Fisher's the family clown, so he's a lot of fun to write.

@ Msullivan - Oh yeah, I just loved Ethan! My God, that man was hot. And yes, I do wish he was real! What woman wouldn't?

@ Amanda - So glad you enjoyed it! It was a fun one for sure.

@ Vanessa - Thanks for stopping by! I'm looking forward to writing the scene where Fisher has to explain to his brothers how a woman pulled one over on him. They're gonna give him hell. LOL Just wait until Karma (his little sister) finds out about it.

@ Judi- Oh yeah, of course you'd like Fisher...I'm surprised he's not in one of your mer books! LOL

@ Teresa - Gina's great--full of spunk and attitude as usual, it was fun to see her and Ben try to deal with each other.

@ Keena - I hope you enjoy Yours for the Taking. Sorry about making your TBR pile larger...okay, well, not really.

@ Ronna - that's the story of my life, my dear. I've been reading a lot just to make some room on my shelves for the books I'll bring home from National!

@ Laura - Thanks so much for inviting me over to your blog today. I'm having a great time!

Eliza Knight said...

Great interview ladies!!! Can't wait for your Gone Wild series!!!

Elizabeth Kelley said...

I always get so excited when one of your books comes out... Great writing, great characters. Can't wait to read your newest.

Robin Kaye said...

Wow - thanks so much Elizabeth. Um..the checks in the mail. LOL just kidding folks. I really don't pay her to plug my books, though if I did have money for a PR person, Elizabeth would be on the top of my list!

Robin Kaye said...

Oooh, Eliza--Sorry, I missed you! Thanks for stopping by! I can't wait for the series to come out either. I really had a lot of fun with Hunter and Toni. It was great being back in Idaho even if it was just in my imagination!

Anita Clenney said...

Hi Robin, great interview. I didn't know your last name was Williams and that your nickname growing up was Mork. You are a wonderful writer yourself, and a wonderful person as well.

Laura Kaye said...

Robin--I have to ask--what do your parents say about having named you after such a famous person??? :)

Thanks for stopping by everybody!

Kimberly said...

Robin, you're a trip! I always love reading interviews with you because you make me giggle :)

Laura said...

Hi, Robin,

Thought I'd come join the party. :D

Great interview, ladies.

Robin, I can't wait to read more of your hot and fun characters.

Best ~ Laura

Diane Garner said...

Oh, Robin, I love Cousin Vinny and hate sucknopses, too. And dark chocolate, mmmmmmm. I had a Czech maiden name that will never see itself on a bookcover. Of course, my married surname may never make it on one either, but that's another story.

Robin Kaye said...

@ Anita - LOL At first I hated my name when I'd get teased with something like "Hey, Robin, where's batman?" That was so original! Then in 7th or 8th grade, Mork and Mindy made it big. God help me. My middle school years were a nightmare!

@ Laura - Unfortunately, I was born well before "The Robin Williams" made it big. Still, it was hell! Nannoo, nannoo..

@ Kimberly - So glad I could get a chuckle out of you! My life is generally funny--I guess it's just how I look at things. It's either laugh or cry--laughing is more fun.

@ Laura - And it is a party, isn't it. I'm having a great time. So glad you joined us!

@ Diane - LOL Czech names are nightmares too. Vinny is so much fun and all synopses suck. Lord knows, they never get easier. Thanks for coming by!

Grace Burrowes said...

I used to like reading the copyright pages of my keepers to find authors' real names (Loretta Chekani... we love your books), but now you don't see that so often. Maybe there ought to be a preferences page instead: dark, salty, silk, jasmine, candle lit... at least three, and so forth

Laura Kaye said...

OMG Robin, what awful timing - like middle school doesn't suck bad enough anyway! Well, we see you've more than overcome! ;) Welcome to the party @Laura, @Grace Burrowes, @ Diane Garner, @Kimberly, @Anita, @Elizabeth!

Keep those comments coming, folks, for a chance to win!

Robin Kaye said...

@ Grace - I wholeheartedly agree. I'd so much prefer a preferences page. There's so much about our favorite authors I'd love to know.

Gwynlyn said...

Since I already have YFTT, please draw another name if mine should surface again. This is a GREAT book--and since I didn't like the heroine when she was a secondary in a previous story, that took some doing!

I knew you would choose dark chocolate, babe; all the best people do! *G* And I still remember the "sign language." The good news? I never forgot it. (BTW? How did your little cutie end up being 17 so darned quick? GAAAHHHHH!!!!)

Robin Kaye said...

@ Gwynlyn~ Ah, sweetie! I'm so excited to see you at Nationals! I have no idea how my son got to be 17, the kids keep getting older, I keep acting younger. Twinkle Toes is 15 1/2 and 5' 9" that makes her over 6' when she's on Pointe. Sigh...let's hope they make male ballet dancers tall!

Diana Cosby said...

:) Too fun! And, love how you rescued your puppy! *Hugs* Oh yeah, dark chocolate rocks! ^5 Wishing you continued success!!!

Laura Kaye said...

Diana and Gwynlyn - welcome! And thanks for stopping by!

Robin Kaye said...

Hi Diana - Thanks for stopping by. Yes, Jasmine, my sweet pointer mix is laying right beneath my feet. We're having thunder storms and she's soooo not a fan. I'm thinking of asking her vet for Doggie Downers, I hate to see her so upset. I hope I see you this year at Nationals!

Kathy Altman said...

I enjoyed the interview, Laura and Robin! Robin, your story "Come Hell or High Water" sounds amazing--it's hard to imagine anyone not being a P&P fan. :-) I can see that it's way past time to introduce myself to your books. Think I'll start with "Romeo, Romeo" and work my way through. :-)

Laura Kaye said...

Great idea, Kathy! Thanks for stopping by!

Laura Kaye said...

Okay, folks, I'll let comments for the book drawing go through 9AM on Wednesday 4/20! Comment for a chance to win!

And a huge thanks to Robin for being here today!

twilidiot said...

Doesn't look my android comment went through today. I love the premise of YFTT. If you wrote that synopsis, it certainly has me hooked! Would love to see your Jane Austen Fan Fic, too.

picturelady said...

I have been following your books for a while and am excited about your new series too! Great interview. I had no idea about Come Hell or High Water.....Now we have to hold out for that! Love Jane Austen books with a "twist".

Laura Kaye said...

Robin, you were a totally great guest! Stop back by any time, lady! And great luck with everything! :)

Laura Kaye said...

Random.Org has determined that:

DIANE GARNER! You won the copy of Yours for the Taking! Please contact me at laurakayeauthor@gmail.com with your address information so Robin can send you the book!

Diane Kelly said...

I really need to stop reading when I'm at the gym. When I saw your book mention the town "Three Whores Bend" I started laughing and nearly crushed myself with the 70 pounds of weight I had pushed up on the leg press!