Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Kaye #3: Welcome Cheryl Kaye Tardif!

We're in the thick of the 30 Days of Kay(e)s Blogfest now!  Susan Kaye Quinn and JennaKay Francis were such fun guests, and now I can't tell you how thrilled I am to introduce you to my next guest, romantic and mystery suspense author:

Cheryl Kaye Tardif!

Welcome, Cheryl!  So, to start, please tell us how and why you came to use the name Kaye!

I was born Cheryl Yvonne Kaye and ever since I can remember, I've yearned to be a published author. When I was a toddler, my mom found me scribbling wavy lines in a Dr. Seuss book. She asked what I was doing and I said, “I'm writing the story.” So Cheryl Kaye has always been a writer. After I was married I wanted to honor my inner child writer―so I write as Cheryl Kaye Tardif (mainly).

Love that story!  Okay, please share a little about yourself, your genres, any other pen names you use.

As bestselling suspense author Cheryl Kaye Tardif, I write novels of mystery and suspense, sometimes woven with moral dilemma and the 'what would you do if…' scenario. As bestselling romantic suspense author Cherish D'Angelo, I write novels with a high level of danger and a steamy level of romantic adventure.

Ooh, what a fascinating dual personality!  Tell us a little about your latest or upcoming release.

My latest suspense thriller, CHILDREN OF THE FOG, explores a horrifying dilemma that no parent should ever have to face―a decision that will change her life and that of her son's. If you were given 10 seconds to make a decision to either let a kidnapper take your son or watch your son die in front of you, which would you choose? You now have 5 seconds left…

OMG, that totally gave me chills!  Wow.  One for the TBR pile for sure!  Which character is your favorite and why?

In CHILDREN OF THE FOG, my favorite character is Sadie. She's a writer of children's books, a proud mother and a patient wife who has overcome alcoholism. Yet through this story, we see her grow in ways that make her shine as a person, a woman and a mother. It is her overwhelming love for her son Sam and the guilt she feels after she makes the choice to let a kidnapper take him that has stayed with me long after writing the story.

I can see that.  Just…wow!  Well, then, as the author, what surprised you about this story?

I was surprised by the emotion I felt during the last five chapters. I literally held my breath, while typing as fast as possible. And then I cried, the last two chapters gripping my heart and leaving me feeling very satisfied.

That’s a good sign.  I’ve always believed it has to move you, as the author, before it will move a reader. Will there be any sequels or other books in the same series?

No. However, the thriller I'm working on now does have a tie-in to CHILDREN OF THE FOG, which takes place near Cadomin. The cabin area and one minor character are featured as well. There is actually some foreshadowing in CHILDREN OF THE FOG, which alludes to the main character of my new novel, SUBMERGED. I'm hoping to have it finished before Christmas.

Oh, good luck! What was the hardest thing for you about writing this story?

Writing the last word.

Wow, guys.  You know that kind of passion for her story and characters just HAS to come out on the page.  Let’s take a look-see at this great story, shall we?

She was ready to die.
She sat at the kitchen table, a half empty bottle of Philip's precious red wine in one hand, a loaded gun in the other. Staring at the foreign chunk of metal, she willed it to vanish. But it didn't.
Sadie checked the gun and noted the single bullet.
"One's all you need."
If she did it right.
She placed the gun on the table and glanced at a pewter-framed photograph that hung off-kilter above the mantle of the fireplace. It was illuminated by a vanilla-scented candle, one of many that threw flickering shadows over the rough wood walls of the log cabin.
Sam's sweet face stared back at her, smiling.
From where she sat, she could see the small chip in his right front tooth, the result of an impatient father raising the training wheels too early. But there was no point in blaming Philip―not when they'd both lost so much.
Not when it's all my fault.
Her gaze swept over the mantle. There were three objects on it besides the candle. Two envelopes, one addressed to Leah and one to Philip, and the portfolio case that contained the illustrations and manuscript on disc for Sam's book.
She had finished it, just like she had promised.
"And promises can't be broken. Right, Sam?"
A single tear burned a path down her cheek.
Sam was gone.
What reason do I have for living now?
She gulped back the last pungent mouthful of Cabernet and dropped the empty bottle. It rolled under the chair, unbroken, rocking on the hardwood floor. Then all was silent, except the antique grandfather clock in the far corner. Its ticking reminded her of the clown's shoe. The one with the tack in it.
Tick, tick, tick…
The clock belched out an ominous gong.
It was almost midnight.
Almost time.
Jeez!  More chills!  That was just great!

Well, Cheryl, thanks for being a part of The 30 Days of Kay(e)s Blogfest! Where can we find you on the web?

Publisher’s Author Page:  http://www.imajinbooks.com

Leave Cheryl some love and ask any questions!  And, as always, thanks for reading!
Laura & Cheryl


Laura Kaye said...

Welcome, Cheryl, to the blog!

Lea Nolan said...

Wow, what a great excerpt! I wanted to scream, "Don't do it!" What a heart-wrenching concept too. As a mother, I can't imagine the impossible choice she has to make.

Karen Holloway said...

I can't wait to read the entire book!!

Laura Kaye said...

I know! Isn't that excerpt just chilling! Thanks for stopping by!

Cheryl Tardif said...

Laura, thank you so much for inviting me to your event. This is so much fun!

Lea, I wanted to scream, "Don't do it!" too. But I was too busy holding my breath.

Karen, Children of the Fog is available in many ebook formats and also in trade paperback, from most major retailers. I hope you let me know what you think.

I'm so glad you all enjoyed that excerpt. It's a horrifying scene that leads to the unimaginable...

Laura Kaye said...

Hi Cheryl! Glad to have you. The scene really is just so compelling!

Sylvie said...

Absolutely spellbinding excerpt. Have to get the book and find out what she does..wtg!

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

What a great, chilling concept! So nice to meet a variety of "Kay(e)"s! :) Thanks for sharing with us!

Laura Kaye said...

Hey everyone, it's Sylvie and Susan! Welcome ladies! Thanks for stopping in!

Cheryl Tardif said...

I hope you enjoy Children of the Fog, Sylvie. You won't believe what Sadie does next! ;-)

Susan, you're very welcome. Thanks for dropping by.

Cheryl Tardif said...

Thanks again, Laura, for featuring me during your blogfest. I wish you the best in success! :-)

Cheryl Kaye Tardif

Laura Kaye said...

Great having you, Cheryl! Wishing you many sales! ;)

Laura Kaye said...

Guys--check out Cheryl's Indie Spotlight: http://www.theindiespotlight.com/?p=5068

Cheryl Tardif said...

Thanks again. And for posting the Indie Spotlight link. I had fun answering their interview questions. :-)