Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

So, we're all 100% Irish on St. Patrick's Day, but I've got quite a bit of the real deal flowing through these here veins.  My Irish ancestors migrated to colonial America in the eighteenth century, settled in western Pennsylvania where they built up quite a landed empire, and then became prominent in the Indian trade.  The head of this empire ended up marrying one of the daughters of Iroquois chief Joseph Brant and fathering a number of children with her.  Though a historian, I'm not big into genealogical research myself, but I do enjoy knowing this bit of our family's distant history.

So, today, celebrate your Irishness (real or borrowed!), and kiss an Irish person--they're good luck.  Even if they're not quite 100%.

What proportion Irish are you? :-)

Thanks for reading,
Laura

3 comments:

Shellie said...

Top of the morning to you, Laura. Happy St. Patty's day!
What percent of Irish am I? Who knows? But I do have a redhead cousin.

Colene Murphy said...

I don't know how much Irish I am, but it's a considerable amount. That I do know! No one better be kissing me, though! Happy St Patrick's Day!

Laura Kaye said...

I think I'm about 1/3 Irish, 1/3 German, 1/3 Italian. Oh, and people can totes kiss me! ;) Thanks for dropping by!