Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Review of Laura Wright, Eternal Hunger

Eternal Hunger (Mark of the Vampire #1)Eternal Hunger by Laura Wright

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I definitely enjoyed this first in a series featuring vampire Alexander Roman's evolving connection with Dr. Sara Donohue. Sara was smart, strong, and able to roll with the punches, and she was immediately likable and sympathetic. Alexander's unique physicality made him especially appealing, as did the interesting powers he had as a "morphed" vampire.  The world building in EH was very interesting and spun a different take on vampires' role in the modern world. The sexual tension between the characters crackled throughout the whole thing.

Since this _is_ going to have sequels, here's some things I personally hope she'll further develop in the coming books. First, I would've liked to see more of Alex's childhood suffering, I wanted her to up the angst-factor with him; I wanted to feel what he'd overcome even more than I did. I wanted a bigger moment of him finally giving in, trusting, taking that leap of faith that someone wouldn't hurt him again. It fell a little flat to me, a little two-dimensional. Second, I wouldn't have mind longer/more detailed sex scenes, at least a few times. Don't get me wrong, they were good, but they almost always seemed to end too quickly. Part of it, I think, was wanting to feel more of the connection, the romance, between them. Third, this got better by the middle of the book, but the introduction of the vampire-specific vocabulary felt a little forced in the beginning. Presumably, having established a lot of this, it'll continue on smoother in the follow-on books. Finally, there were a few word choices that just tripped me up every time. While I *loved* the description of his eyes as cherry-black and/or merlot, the repeated description of hers as blueberry drove me freaking nuts! There were also a few squick-worthy sexual references, like his penis kissing her womb (ouch) and her nether region as a "mouth" (ew). Obviously, these are all highly subjective--one person's squick may very well be another person's turn-on.

I devoured the book--lured in by the molten-hot cover!--in a day and a half. When the last page ended, I found myself disappointed it was over and wanting more--so, in the end, Ms. Wright did her job. Recommend!

View all my reviews
Thanks for reading,
Laura

No comments: