Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 in Review

2010 was great to me, so I thought I'd take a moment to celebrate all the good that came my way.
1) Got my first contract for a novel, Forever Freed, from The Wild Rose Press
2) Got my first contract for a novella, Hearts in Darkness, from The Wild Rose Press
3) Got my first ever book covers


4) Launched my pen name, Laura Kaye
5) Attended my first ever RWA National Conference (and got to meet so many online friends in person!)
6) Got a request for a full in my first ever RWA agent pitch appointment
7) Completed 1 full novel, 3 novellas, and extensive edits on another novel
8) Got involved with the Maryland  Romance Writers, a great group of ladies I've really come to respect and value (I'd add election as MRW Vice President, but since I ran unopposed...lol)
9) Semi-finaled in one contest and finaled in another
10) Didn't final in the Golden Heart, but got a kick-ass score for Forever Freed that left me squeeing for days (42.10 out of 45, baby!)

2010 was the year I really came to think of myself as an author and a writer, and writing has become so central to my self-conception, it's hard to imagine life without it. So, huzzahs for 2010! If 2011 is half as good, it'll be damn great.

What are you celebrating as the old year ends?

Thanks for reading,
Laura

7 comments:

Maeve said...

Yay Laura! Congratulations on an awesome year and here's hoping that 2011 is even better. Awesome covers - by the way - Isn't The Wild Rose Press the best?

I'm celebrating many things too but I won't clog your lovely blog with them. This is YOUR place and I so enjoyed reading about all your achievements. Thank you for sharing your moments with us.

Jill James said...

Laura, congratulations on a great year! I got my first contract from TWRP in 2010. I got my first cover in 2010. I finally got to believe I was an author.

naelany said...

Congratulations to so many wonderful things for you in 2010. You certainly earned and deserved it all :-) I'm proud of you :-)

Here's to hoping 2011 is even better

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Congratulations on such an awesome year! May next year bring as much joy!

Happy New Year!

Vonnie Davis said...

Congrats to all you achieved in 2010. I, too, got my first contract from TWRP in 2010. Love your covers. I wish you a new year of awesome plots, sizzeling scenes and lovable, multi-layered characters. You, go, girl!!

Lilly Gayle said...

Congrats on your success, Laura. I'm celebrating many of the same things you are in 2010. My first published book, Out of the Darkness, a paranormal vampire romance, was released from TWRP. I signed a second contract for a historical romance, I got two great book covers, I did three book signings and scheduled a 4th. And I took launched my official pen name. So, I'm raising a virtual glass of champagne to us both! Happy New Year and may we both prosper as authors in 2011.

Laura Kaye said...

Great to see that 2010 was just as wonderful to many of you! Happy New Year!