Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Review of Sherrilyn Kenyon, Devil May Cry

Devil May Cry (Dark-Hunter, #12)Devil May Cry by Sherrilyn Kenyon

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I have loved the Dark Hunter series, and read them in order, faithfully.  But, with this book and some of the ones just before, I have gone from enjoying the series and each book within it, to forcing myself to push through these middle-of-the-series-doldrums books to get to Acheron's book at the end of the series.

Let me say that I enjoyed the main characters in this book.  Katra has been an intriguing character from earlier books, and I liked that she got her love story here.  And Sin had a wonderfully tortured past to make him a sympathetic dark hero.  And I like that, because they were both gods, they were equally powerful--this wasn't a damsel-in-distress-being-saved-by-big-strong-hero story.

But there were a lot of things that didn't work about the story too.  First, I didn't find Katra's and Sin's relationship as compelling as I wanted it to be.  First off, Kenyon too often cut off the will-he-give-in-to-her-or-not tension and angst prematurely.  Rather than making the reader crave their reunion after fights or his insecurities would have him shut her out, she almost always had him take her back too readily.  Second, Ash came off as oddly communicative, open, and even touchy-feely this time.  Now, granted, he learned he had a daughter he didn't know about, and I know Kenyon's also trying to lay out more background in preparation for his book, which is only a handful away in the series from this point.  But he seemed notably different to me this time, and it was a bit jarring.  Third, the introduction of this new conflict with two different types of demons was interesting, but it also seemed to take the series off on a pretty big tangent.  Now, it appears she's going to bring the demon conflict into the daimon conflict by having the two leading bad guys join forces, but still, it felt a little disjointed to me, within the overall scope of the series.

I think the thing that has most let me down over the past few books is the extent to which she's strayed away from the Dark Hunters.  They're the ones I fell in love with.  It's their story I first cared about.  And while I do admire the variety of creature types Kenyon has created in the series, I think the series works best when the books focus on the thing she made us care about at the very beginning.



View all my reviews

No comments: