Friday, November 5, 2010

Review of J.R. Ward, Crave

Crave (The Fallen Angels, #2)Crave by J.R. Ward

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS!

I have to admit, as much as I enjoy J.R. Ward's writing, I wasn't happy to be asked to move away from the Brothers (LOL).  Book one in her fallen angels series, Covet, was good, but honestly it took me a good 50-100 pages to really get into it, and while I came to like the series hero, Jim Heron, by the end of Covet, I wasn't in love with the romantic hero, Vin DiPietro.  He was just okay.

CRAVE (book 2 in the series) HAS CHANGED ALL THIS FOR ME!!!  Not only did I like Jim even more in this book (a LOT more), but I LOVED the romantic hero.  Isaac Rothe was a phenomenally well-drawn, likable, and sympathetic character--no mean feat for a man who worked for years as an assassin.  His mix of southern manners and ice-cold killer gave him depth and interest.  I was no more good every time he insisted on taking his boots off before coming into the heroine's house.  Let's just say I'd be happy to re-enact the wine cellar scene with him any damn day.

Another thing I really like about this series is that the bad guy is, well, a gal.  A demon gal, to be sure, and she is powerful and evil and manipulative and smart.  This isn't the norm, and I think it gives the series a uniqueness that makes it even more interesting.  Also, the good guys don't always win, and that makes you root for them even more.  God, my heart broke for Jim's realization that he'd lost the competition over this soul after coming so close at the end of this book.  Jim's evolving powers as a fallen angel are also going to be a hook that carries readers from book to book.  He went from being a kick-ass military assassin in book one, to a fallen angel in book two with some powerful but not yet fully understood mojo.  His angel guides/sidekicks/comrades-in-wings Ad and Eddie have yet to really give him the full angel lowdown, so that's still to come, but it's clear he's not just your normal run-of-the-mill avenging angel.

The only bad thing is we have to wait months now for the next installment.  Definite recommend.  And a warning to anyone participating in NaNoWriMo:  don't start this book in November if you hope to get any writing done!!



Thanks for reading, 
Laura  
View all my reviews

1 comment:

Eleri Stone said...

Shoot I really want to read this one. I was planning on waiting until nano's over and starting w/ the 1st one. Not sure I'll have the willpower.