Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Big Fat Hairy Middle of the Manuscript Doldrums

Argh.

I. Am. Fail.

Remember back to my optimistically sunny 60-Day goals?  I'd have revisions to the existing part of the WIP completed by 9/15 and planned to have the remaining 40K-ish words finished by the third week of October?

Yeah, not so much.

First, my job, like, demanded that I do it with multiple sets of, frankly, soul-sucking student papers.  Okay, perhaps that's a little dramatic but then this is what a funk does to you!  Second, this short story idea just wouldn't leave me alone, and in 6 days I wrote a pretty kick-ass erotic romance, complete at 15,300 words.  Which is great, and I really enjoyed it, but, you know, it got done at the expense of what I'm supposed to be doing.

And now, tomorrow, another set of papers comes in from my students, ensuring no additional work for at least a couple more days.

Just needed an outlet.  Thanks for commiserating with me.  Okay, bucking up, here.

Thanks for reading,
Laura

9 comments:

naelany said...

You might not have been working on what you should have been working on, but at least you did write something. Beats not being able to write, period.

Just take it one day at a time ;-)

PurdueLiz said...

Ohhh I absolutely agree with Nae, it beats not writing anything at all. That said, it sucks when life (or jobs) get in the way. I admire you having goals at all, that's much more than I set for myself. Maybe I could learn something from you. ;)

Laura Kaye said...

Aw, you guys are the best!

Saranna DeWylde said...

You were working on just what you needed to be. You have to write the story that's in you. When you stop listening to that voice is when you get your muse's foot in your arse. :)

I seem to have to keep relearning that lesson even though I already know it. :)

Shellie said...

Laura, personal goals are great. Too bad life keeps getting in the way. I left awards for you on my blog. Way to hang in there.

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Laura, don't worry, it's important to have goals, but they're just goals. Life happens. :) Hang in there!

Amy

Laura Kaye said...

The positive reinforcement is so nice, guys! Just what I needed--thanks! And thanks for the award, Shellie!

Wendy Marcus said...

You'll get there, Laura. Sometimes the breaks we take from writing allow us to formulate new/better ideas. I hope it works that way for you!

Nicki Elson said...

I know exactly what to do! Tell yourself that you're not supposed to work on your WIP at all during October. Then it will become all you want to do and you WILL find ways to do it. ;) And even if it's not all the way to your goal, you'll be on a roll that will keep going.