Thursday, September 2, 2010

60-Day Goals

So, I joined the "60 Days to Success" event sponsored by the RWA's FF&P (Futuristic, Fantasy & Paranormal) chapter.  It runs September 1 - October 31 and the purpose is to help members make major strides on their works in progress or other writing goals in the next 60 (whoops, 59!) days.

I am in MAJOR need of some collective push like this.  I wrote over 45,000 words between the last week of May and the middle of July.  But since then:  a big fat nada!  Two weeks of traveling in late July, ten days of house guests, and then a week of gearing up for teaching in the new semester, not to mention that those pesky classes have made me return to, you know, actually doing my job again...and I've lost my time and my momentum.  And this is a problem because 1) not writing feels like an itch that needs scratching real bad, 2) I have an editor and two agents waiting to see my current WIP, and 3) I have other things I want to be writing--and this WIP, which has never cooperated the way my other stories have, just needs to get the frick out of the way already, lol.

So, here are my 60-Day goals:
1) by 9/15: revise the completed portion of the WIP (got some feedback at a writing workshop I have to do before continuing with new words)
2) by 10/24: complete the manuscript
3) by 10/31: undertake at least one major revision of manuscript before 60 Days is over

Yes, I'm deeming the giant bolded fire-engine-red lettering necessary for keeping these three In. My. Face.

Accomplishing these will hopefully relate to these longer-term goals:
1) Get an agent with this manuscript
2) Achieve RWA PAN status (Published Author Network--for published authors who have made at least $1,000 from their writing)
3) Do both of these by next year's RWA, beginning June 28, 2011

Even if you're not part of the 60 Day group, what are your goals -- life or writing! -- for the next sixty days?

Thanks for reading!
Laura

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Great post! I'm in!

I'd like to put a HUGE dent in my WIP over the next 60 days. My average word count per day the past two weeks has been anywhere from 500-1k words. So, while that's progress, it's a bit slow. I'd really like to hit my stride and start whipping out larger word counts. I participated in NaNoWriMo last year, I know what I'm capable of, lol!

Here's to sticking with our goals!!

naelany said...

Good luck! I have faith in you, you can totally do this!

As for my own goals...life-wise, it's to stick with Sparkpeople and increase my work out (read: get back to doing wii at least 3 days a week). Also need my bloodpressure under control by then (if it's not, I'm gonna cry).

Writing-wise... finish FGB pieces (including the extra stuff). Get back on track with Marked. If those can be achieved, I'll be a happy camper.

Laura Kaye said...

Great goals, girls! Let's do it!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Go get 'em! Glad I came by from KarenG's bbq post. Now following you on all your social networks.

Jayne said...

Great goals! I also came by via the lovely KarenG. :)

My sixty day goal would be get an agent for my novel-to-be! And also get started properly on the next book idea - it is currently in scribble form only.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oooh, awesome goals! I like a 60 day goal. I'm feeling the pressure already. I'd like to actually write a book in 60 days then take another 30 to edit. That is going to be a challenge though.

PS. I'm from Karen's BBQ blog party.

susanhatler said...

Great idea on the 60 day goals. I don't usually think that far ahead, but would be fun to see how it affects my progress (good or bad!). Good luck on yours! :)

Ann Best said...

Well, you've spurred me on to set some kind of goal toward my new WIP (the second revisions of my currently contracted memoir is at the moment in my editor's hands). I'm not very good at "new years resolutions" but I'm going to try.

I'm glad I found you at KarenG's BBQ.

I'm interested in reading your work, and I love your colorful blog. Now that I see it, I'm not so satisfied with mine (after tinkering with it all week!).

I'm now a follower. I'll be back.
Ann

Laura Kaye said...

Welcome everybody! So glad to have you! Yes, set those goals and go get 'em!

Laura

Matthew Rush said...

Hi Laura. I came here from Karen's BBQ post and since I LOVE pasta salad I figured I'd visit your blog and become your newest follower.

Nice ta meet ya!

Today's guest blogger is Emilia Plater!