Monday, August 30, 2010

Meet an Author Monday! And on making book trailers...

Hey Peeps!  It's Monday again, which means we're hopping.  Check out the sites of all the authors on the hop and drop a line to say hello.  Writers, join on in on the fun!

I usually like to post a little top five list to give y'all a way to get to know me while you're here.  Today, I thought I'd share my initial thoughts on making a book trailer.  I took a class offered by the RWA PRO section online over the past week or so, presented by the amazing Jeannie Lin, and took a stab at making one for the very first time.  I'm so glad I did!  To think I was almost willing to pay someone $75 or even $200 to do this!  I'm still editing the trailer, but expect to have it out and about soon!

So, here are top five things I learned about making a book trailer:
1) You CAN do it yourself.
2) It's easy to get lost in the fun of searching for music and stock images and stock video.  Read, time sink!
3) I don't think it would take many efforts at this to become truly proficient at it.
4) It's really exciting to see your book presented in a movie format!  There was definite squeeing last night at 4 a.m. when I finally made myself stop tinkering and go to bed.
5) It doesn't have to be expensive.  I spent $15.00 on stock images--I could've gotten away with less if I'd had a better sense of how many you could fit in.

So, that's what I've learned.  I'll be writing more on book trailers soon.  In the meantime, any tricks and tips out there from those of you who have made them?

Thanks for reading,
Laura


4 comments:

elysemady said...

What a great idea. I've only seen a few book trailers (and those have been pretty pitiful, frankly) - so seeing people getting ahead of the curve gives me hope for when I decide to take the plunge.

Elyse

Lisa said...

Can't wait to see it, Laura!

Toni Anderson said...

Thanks for the tips. I'm really tempted to give it a go!

Nicki Elson said...

Awesome! I didn't make my own book trailer...but I'll confess to spending WAY too much time making and AMV for You Tube last spring. So fun and addictive. I can just imagine the joy in your 4 a.m. squee. Can't wait to see the trailer!