Monday, July 26, 2010

10 Goals of a RWA Nationals Newbie

In just 24 hours, I'll be flying south, heading to my first RWA Nationals.  I am beyond thrilled and a little apprehensive at the same time.  Here are my goals for the conference:
  1. Learn something new about craft and the industry and then apply those lessons when I return home
  2. Introduce myself; make friends (sounds obvious, but capital-I introvert here, nice to meetcha...); put some faces together with online names
  3. Nail my elevator pitch!  26 words, baby!  (now to remember them...)
  4. Relax, relax, relax
  5. Meet a lot of agents and editors; impress a few (particularly at my pitch appointment); get a couple requests for materials (pleasepleaseplease) (perhaps I should add: without sounding desperate or acting like an idjit)
  6. Identify/meet some new-to-me authors/books--you can never have too many books on your nightstand
  7. Listen, observe, make note!
  8. Do a good job moderating a session (Serial Vampire Bondage, Asia 2, Saturday, 7/31) (say 'hi' if you come!)
  9. Don't absolutely exhaust myself--I have to hit the ground running come the following Monday morning to finish my edit of pre-galleys on Forever Freed and to crank out more words on Fantasy Life
  10. Have mucho funno!  

I don't want much, I know.  But it's good to have goals.  I'll update once or twice from warmer climes before doing a bigger debrief on journey's end.

Thanks for reading,
Laura

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Great post! I need to memorize my pitch as well. Yikes! I'm a total introvert as well, so this conference will be great for forcing myself out of my little bubble I live in. Can't wait to meet you!

Laura Kaye said...

Two peas in a pod, then! Looking forward to meeting you, too!

blondie said...

Don't stress over your pitch. Chances are EXTREMELY high you'll be asked to submit pages if you show up on time, speak clearly, and don't lose your lunch on the agent's shoes. You can read your pitch or have notes, that's okay.

I was a mess at my pitch appt, and then went to a pitch workshop and the agents said they pretty much always ask for pages from people they meet. So relax and don't let stress over your appt ruin the rest of your time.

As far as meeting other people - it'll be hard not to! I always tried to sit at a table that already had someone sitting at it. Every conversation starts with 'where are you from' and 'what do you write'. If you put the 'first timer' ribbon on your badge, it is an automatic invitation for people to talk to you.

I so wish I could go - so many of the authors I follow will be there!

You are going to have an amazing time!

Laura Kaye said...

Thanks Blondie! Good advice!

Lisa said...

That IS great advice! I just printed out my pitch to memorize on the plane, and my query letter for Queryfest. Christine Witthohn will be there, and she's my dream agent.